[SOLVED] CPU installation on motherboard

johnmiami6315

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
I’m planning on installing a Ryzen 9 3900x on a ROG strix b450-f. I looked at the bios updates for the motherboard and saw that they released an update that added support for the 3000 series. My question is, how should I go about updating the bios? Should I simply power the motherboard without a cpu and flash the new bios first? Would that even work? Or should I simply put the processor in and spam to bios and update then?

Any help is appreciated!

Solution
I’m planning on installing a Ryzen 9 3900x on a ROG strix b450-f. I looked at the bios updates for the motherboard and saw that they released an update that added support for the 3000 series. My question is, how should I go about updating the bios? Should I simply power the motherboard without a cpu and flash the new bios first? Would that even work? Or should I simply put the processor in and spam to bios and update then?

Any help is appreciated!

None of those options will work. You need a CPU the board does function with to update the BIOS. Without that you're dead in the water. You can't get to the BIOS with the 3900X and there is no way to update it without a CPU installed. AMD will send you a super low end one for...

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Any help is appreciated!

None of those options will work. You need a CPU the board does function with to update the BIOS. Without that you're dead in the water. You can't get to the BIOS with the 3900X and there is no way to update it without a CPU installed. AMD will send you a super low end one for free (by deposit and refund) if needed.

OR buy a good X570 board like a 3900X deserves so you can get the most out of it.

Reactions: CountMike and boju
Solution

johnmiami6315

Commendable
Jul 18, 2018
None of those options will work. You need a CPU the board does function with to update the BIOS. Without that you're dead in the water. You can't get to the BIOS with the 3900X and there is no way to update it without a CPU installed. AMD will send you a super low end one for free (by deposit and refund) if needed.

OR buy a good X570 board like a 3900X deserves so you can get the most out of it.
Thanks for the fast reply. I just bought a Athlon 3000G that's supported by the board according to pcpartpicker for 60 dollars and I'll return it once I get the board working. Thanks again!

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Thanks for the fast reply. I just bought a Athlon 3000G that's supported by the board according to pcpartpicker for 60 dollars and I'll return it once I get the board working. Thanks again!

No problem. Be careful many places will not take back an open CPU for refund.

Thats why AMD has a program for this (scroll to bottom):

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100