CPU is ALWAYS at 100%

May 30, 2018
I would just like to point out something at the start, I have read a lot on this issue and they all say to prevent programs from using up a lot of demand by 'setting priority' and 'setting affinity'. THESE HAVE NOT WORKED so please do not tell me to try that.

I have also ran anti-virus scans with COMODO and cleaned the computer with CCleaner, I have also tried ending tasks to free up space but that hasn't worked.

The main issue is that if I end all of the programs 'Task Manager' and 'System' both end up taking up all of the space and ensure that the CPU stays at 100% consistently, no matter how many programs I close... another program always takes the CPU space I created.

My computer isn't old, I built it in October / September last year (7 or 8 months old) and this issue is fairly recent. It has AMD Ryzen 5 1600, NVIDIA GeForce 1050Ti and 8GB of RAM.

Thanks for any help :)

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Hi. Having seen similar issues in the past there are some things coming to my mind worth checking:
- Please check the power management settings in the control center. Could be that for CPU load was somehow fixed to 100%
- Bios...I do not know AMD CPUs so much, but for Intel there is a setting called SpeedStep which, when deactivated, causes 100% clock

May 30, 2018

I just looked on a program - I think it is CAM - and that is saying my CPU is running at around 8%, at the time nothing was running except task manager and CAM except on task manager it still said 100%... Could it just be an issue with task manager?

It could also be malware, regardless of your attempted cleaning - there is no AV software that can fully clean a PC of every single malware in existence. The only sure method to resolve this would be a clean OS reinstall. With the latest build of Windows 10, of course.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017
I had the exact same issue not too long ago. I could literally cold start the computer with all of my startup items being turned off, my RAM would be at 100% usage with Discord running and CPU usage would be really, really high Use the "Reset This Computer" function. Make sure you have all of your data backed up!! THIS MAY REMOVE PERSONAL DATA! I cannot express that enough. It'll take a little while to do, but my computer ran flawlessly after I did this. I think it had to do with some malware running stuff in the background.

ameyer75

Reputable
May 17, 2017

It's fine. So long as you don't notice any weird throttling happening, I would say it's safe to ignore. Might even be something that's fixed in an update.

7664stefan

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Is the CPU still performing when you open e.g. a game or application? I guess that the task manager info is wrong. Cortana taking 17% of CPU w/o usage...possibly here task man refers to some kind of CPU reservation. Could you check with Mircrosoft for Windows Updates? Possibly there is already a fix out?