CPU is being underclocked? How can I fix this?

salmonboyak

Prominent
Mar 10, 2018
So I’ve had this PC for about one year now, I've had a friend help me build most of it, so I don't know much about this PC, I no longer have contact with him as well unfortunately. Ever since I first built it, my CPU has been running at 0.78GHz. I am not a computer wizard, so I don't know much about this kind of stuff, though I've tried many ways to fix this problem. Recently I’ve clean installed windows once a few months ago, which didn't help. It’s not the temperatures and there’s no dust in it. I already set the Power Plan in Windows to High Performance, did the minimum and maximum thing that I should be doing, still no luck. It never goes to 100% CPU usage, and it usually is around 20% when playing a game such as Overwatch or Siege. CPU speed never goes up at all. No other parts of my PC are a problem either, they work fine.

Also when I went into the BIOS to check some things about the CPU, I got some info:

Frequency 800MHz
Temperature 25C
BLCK 100MHz
Core Voltage 0.720V
Ratio 8x

I will appreciate any help and support I can get.

My Specs: ASUS Prime H270-Plus, 8gb RAM, i5 7500 @ 3.40GHz PNY GTX 1050, 450W PSU (Though I'm not 100% sure about the PSU)

Userbenchmark: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/9665814

(The userbenchmark says there’s lots of background usage, but I’ve closed every process that I can)

Download/install/run HWMonitor, then even a Defender malware scan should show clock speeds jumping from 800 MHz to between 1200-3400 MHz or so for the duration of the scan....

Is the cpu correctly identified as an i5-7500 in the BIOS? And in task manager/performance/cpu?

salmonboyak

Prominent
Mar 10, 2018

Yes it is correctly identified as an i5-7500 in the BIOS and in task manager.

salmonboyak

Prominent
Mar 10, 2018

I am seeing 0.78GHz in task manager. I also have already tried setting BIOS to factory defaults.

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz

Think you're thinking along my lines, no load - no CPU use ;) My G3258 would show under 1GHz until I loaded it then itd work its way up to 3.2 in task manager.

eXPedient Demise

Honorable
Jul 16, 2018
www.xpd.co.nz

Try running something like Performance Test and see what it returns - if it matches your userbenchmark, something is def wrong. Check for BIOS updates etc.

https://www.passmark.com/products/pt.htm

TRENDING THREADS