Question CPU is boosting on Idle. High Temps on Idle

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, I noticed that my Idle temps is 45 to 50, my cpu cooler is NZXT Kraken x62. there are no other programs running except NZXT Cam software and I saw that my CPU is alway boosting to 4.12 Ghz, maybe that is the cause of spike idle temps. Is this normal?

Screenshot

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
First off that is a Very Nice build.
That Kraken X62 should have no problem keeping that 3600 cool.
What is the temperature of the room where you use your PC ?
What temperatures are you seeing when gaming ?
Are you using the AMD Balanced Power Plan ?

Also what software are you using to read your CPU temperature ?
I would strongly suggest you use either Ryzen Master Or HWinfo, those are the most accurate for reading Ryzen 3000 Series CPU temps.

I have a MSI B450 Tomahawk Max, I noticed that my Idle temps is 45 to 50, my cpu cooler is NZXT Kraken x62. there are no other programs running except NZXT Cam software and I saw that my CPU is alway boosting to 4.12 Ghz, maybe that is the cause of spike idle temps. Is this normal?

Screenshot
It's "boosting" because it's not at true idle, as soon as OS or program (like that NZXT Cam demands something from CPU it has to react, that's how it's made.

Reactions: DMAN999

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
First off that is a Very Nice build.
That Kraken X62 should have no problem keeping that 3600 cool.
What is the temperature of the room where you use your PC ?
What temperatures are you seeing when gaming ?
Are you using the AMD Balanced Power Plan ?

Also what software are you using to read your CPU temperature ?
I would strongly suggest you use either Ryzen Master Or HWinfo, those are the most accurate for reading Ryzen 3000 Series CPU temps.
Thank you.
My room temp is 25c
When I'm gaming my temp is 50-57c
Yes I am using the AMD Balanced Power Plan.
I use the Ryzen Master when Idle on gaming I use the OSD of MSI Afterburner

DMAN999

Honorable
Ambassador
Thank you.
My room temp is 25c
When I'm gaming my temp is 50-57c
Yes I am using the AMD Balanced Power Plan.
I use the Ryzen Master when Idle on gaming I use the OSD of MSI Afterburner
I wouldn't worry about it then.
50-57C when gaming is Very good.
My 3700x runs at around 60-62C when gaming.

I would guess that CountMike is correct and that you just have some app or apps running in the background that cause your CPU to Boost so it is not really idling (at idle you should only see 1 to 2% CPU usage in Task Manager).

You could use Task manager to check and see what is using the CPU and End those tasks to see what your true idle temps is.

Reactions: davidty1996

davidty1996

Commendable
Dec 10, 2017
I wouldn't worry about it then.
50-57C when gaming is Very good.
My 3700x runs at around 60-62C when gaming.

I would guess that CountMike is correct and that you just have some app or apps running in the background that cause your CPU to Boost so it is not really idling (at idle you should only see 1 to 2% CPU usage in Task Manager.

You could check and see what is using the CPU and use Task manager to End those tasks to se what your true idle temps is.
Ok. Thank you for the information guys

Reactions: DMAN999

Aaqib Roshen

Commendable
Aug 8, 2019

Screenshot
Hi, I too was facing the same issue. Then I remembered I changed the power plan in Windows to High Performance mode. Once I changed it to Balanced or Power Saving mode the base clock speeds of the CPU when back to Normal. Hope this helps.