CPU is failing, time for a new build.

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
Hello! I'm new here and just came from another tech forum that has pretty much turned into a ghost town, no one is willing to help out with my new PC config so hopefully someone here can give me some advice as I've been out of the PC building race for a little awhile, just been focusing on my photography.

Anyways,

I've been getting a LOT of crashes from my current PC which has Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed and I managed to get someone to analyze the mini dumps and said they are related to the CPU.

WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR (124)
A fatal hardware error has occurred.
FAILURE_BUCKET_ID: 0x124_GenuineIntel_PROCESSOR_CACHE

Which tells me there there is someone wrong with my processor. It still works right now but the crashes are occurring more frequently than before, sometimes it will just lock up with the sound on a loop and I have to manually restart it. It just isn't that reliable anymore. So I'm looking into options.

My current setup is:

CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
MOBO: ASUS P8Z77-V LK
RAM: G. Skill Ripjaws 16GB DDR3 2133 CL9 (4x4gb)
VIDEO: EVGA GeForce GTX-750 Ti SC 2GB
PSU: Corsair TX650M
CPU COOLING: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO/w Noctua Fan
SSD: Samsung 128GB 840 Pro

Picture of the setup

I had the CPU overclocked to 4ghz for a couple years and had no issues, but change it back to stock settings to prolong it..crashes are not as frequent as they were or so it seems anyways.

I don't know for an absolute FACT that my processor is failing but every mini dump that is created is always related to the CPU. I ran Intel's CPU diagnostic tool, passed and I ran a stress test on the processor and that also passed.

The New Build

Keep in mind that I don't do any gaming (or much of it anyways) But just do a lot of photo and video editing mainly.

I think I can reuse my PSU, Video Card and SSD on the new one. Those things I can always upgrade after the fact. Video card is less than a year old and works fine for I need.

So I'm looking at these parts:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K 6M Skylake - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117561

MOBO: ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813132566

RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8gb) DDR4 3000 CL15 - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233863 (need that lower profile ram for that massive cooler, lol).

One question about the ram though. Since the DDR3 2133 CL9 ram I currently have is pretty good and its fast, wouldn't the DDR4 3000 with CL15 be slower than what I'm using now?

Will there be any increase in performance by doing this upgrade? Because if there isn't much then I might as well just go with Haswell/Canyon setup and save myself $150.

If my CPU wasn't failing, I wouldn't be making this post because I'd still continue to use the 3570k but apparently its failing, so might as well build a new system.

I'm pretty sure I can resell the old parts and get some money back..CPU would have to be sold as for parts and not working. But RAM is good and mobo is still working good. I'd also be upgrading to the Fractal Design R5 as well or perhaps the Define S but since I have a couple internal HDD, might as well get the R5 for not much more.

Any thoughts, recommendations or advice anyone is willing to share? It would REALLY be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: If anyone is bored and wants to take a look at my mini-dumps to see if my friend is wrong, go for it. I zipped the dumps up to my OneDrive. Download Here.

If its something that could actually be fixed with software, you just saved me a boat load of money! But I think its hardware because this issue had occurred on Windows 7, Windows 8.1 and now Windows 10. No matter how many times I've reinstalled the OS, it still happens.

Solution
That's not entirely bad, I've seen worse, and corsair units are very good about dieing quietly, no big explosions or trashing entire pc's, but with the age of the psu and it's line, then yeah, it's probably coming towards end of useful life limits. Don't see any real reason for a rush job, but I'd start looking for a good replacement. Unless you see one on sale, that's always a bonus many don't get when needing a replacement right now.

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016
So I just checked the 12v rail with my multimeter and it running at a consant 11.88v. The 5v rail is running at 4.89v.

Under load, the 12v rail runs at like 11.86v.

So im going to say my PSU is failing.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
That's not entirely bad, I've seen worse, and corsair units are very good about dieing quietly, no big explosions or trashing entire pc's, but with the age of the psu and it's line, then yeah, it's probably coming towards end of useful life limits. Don't see any real reason for a rush job, but I'd start looking for a good replacement. Unless you see one on sale, that's always a bonus many don't get when needing a replacement right now.

Solution

nerwin

Commendable
Aug 5, 2016

What about that RM650x? That should last longer than this tx650m and plus its fully modular. Heck, I might even order a new case lol.