CPU is getting hot after applying Thermal Paste

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

tim1907

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Now I can't even access my computer, when I started up my computer, 5 seconds in, the screen says its loss signal.

Tristal

Honorable
Apr 12, 2012
Hey, sorry if this post is a little old to res, but I don't use forums often so hopefully this will get read, but I have a very similar setup to you tim, I have the same CPU, CPU Heatsink + fan and the same Thermal paste, and my CPU is currently running at 74oC playing BF3 which is a little worrying, I do need to do a clean again but when I first reapplied the new thermal paste and used a can of air to clean it I was still running at higher than I expected too.. I'm wondering, could this be the heatsink?

Also, seems we may have both been using Ebuyer? ;P

stealer0517

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011

Wwwwwwwwait you have a computer like that (old but pretty high end) and you play minecraft? You could play bf3 at atleast now ignore med to high

Tavo_Nova

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2011
try it out, just put a small bump in the middle like a grain of rice(2 piece) or something then just drop your cooler, drink your bottle of vodka in one shot, screw in the screws, load up your pc, check your temps and let it rip

Korey Charity

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014

U should NEVER use a credit card to rub therrmal paste. The only and best way to do it is by putting a pea size dot in the center. The credit card method will fully spread the paste around. But once the cpu gets hot it will melt and fall off the cpu onto the mobo.