Question CPU is heating up to 90-100

Mar 18, 2019
Hi guys,

Need some help.

My CPU is heating up to 90-100 C and I cannot understand why.

CPU – i5 4570

Motherboard - Msi h81m-p33

Video card -AMD Radeons red devil Rx 480 8GB

Ram – 2x 4GB

Cooling - Spartan 3 LT HE1012 HE1012

We at the start I thought that CPU is dead as I bought it used, but it is not 3,30 GHz after testing on a different motherboard.

Then I thought cooling is bad, and it was. So I changed to this cooler. Not at least I can get 3,20 GHz out as with the previous one it was only1,2 Ggz. but the i5 CPU still is hot. Thermal paste used, PC cleaned - no dust. I am just reading and reading and I cannot understand the issues. Has anyone an idea of what else could be done?

xSaturnityx

Prominent
Feb 11, 2019
Maybe you got back luck in the silicone lottery.

How is the airflow?
Are the CPU fans actually working?
Have you messed with the fan curve?

Don't leave the pc running for long periods of time either, 90+ isn't really.. good.

Mar 18, 2019
Which cooler? If you can specify , with clips like intel stock or?
The rarest issue is that the TIM (Thermal interface material) beneath the IHS (Isolating Heatsink?)
https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/integrated-heat-spreader-ihs-definition,5747.html
Soo thermal paste might be an issue there, BUT that requires you to delid the CPU.
I have now Silentium Spartan 3 LT HE1012 cooler instaled.

CPU worked fine on a different motherboard, So I am kinda convinced that it is not CPU fault. CPU TDP is 84W. Coolings has 125W TDP. might it still not be enough?

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2019
Maybe you got back luck in the silicone lottery.

How is the airflow?
Are the CPU fans actually working?
Have you messed with the fan curve?

Don't leave the pc running for long periods of time either, 90+ isn't really.. good.

Fan is working :D

Have you messed with the fan curve? - No, I have not - how can this be done?