CPU is never running at full speed, always stuck at 800mhz/0.78ghz

salmonboyak

Prominent
Mar 10, 2018
Ever since I first built it, my computer has been running poorly, but I didn't know what was going on until I found out my CPU was running below expectations. In Task Manager it says my CPU runs at 0.78GHZ, and never goes above that during intense tasks, and in CPU-Z it says that my CPU is running at 800mhz.

I am not a computer wizard, so I don't know much about this kind of stuff, though I've tried many ways to fix this problem. Recently I’ve clean installed windows once a few months ago, which didn't help. The temperatures are fine and there’s no dust in it. I already set the Power Plan in Windows to High Performance, did the minimum and maximum thing that I should be doing, still no luck. It never goes to 100% CPU usage, and it never goes above 23% usage when playing a game such as Overwatch or Siege, and when playing such games they run terribly (thanks to the CPU of course). No other parts of my PC are a problem either, they work fine. Just today I tried a BIOS update, which just made my boot time for my PC faster.

I’ve had this PC for about one year now, and I am not any computer expert.

My Specs: ASUS Prime H270M-PLUS, 8GB RAM DDR4-2133, i5 7500 @ 3.40GHz, PNY GTX 1050, and a 450W PSU

Userbenchmark: http://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11278730 (It does say a lot of background is being used, but that's because the CPU just won't go any higher.)

Really like this build, I know it has a lot of potential, but I need to be able to fix my CPU.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
DID you add thermal paste to the CPU? it needs it or it will stay at a low speed to help keep it from buring up.

Also make sure you check the power settings in windows that it is not set at like 5% speed as the max or something.

salmonboyak

Prominent
Mar 10, 2018

Hm, no thermal paste would make sense for the CPU to slow down. I did indeed do the power settings thing also.

Though, if this does clarify anything, my cpu is running at 39C at 800mhz, is that a normal temperature for that speed?

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
If you don't have thermal paste it will throttle the CPU.

that temp looks fine at it just sitting there though. I would run something like prime 95 and see what the temps do and if it speeds up at all. other then that I have no idea other then this thread http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-3180070/4460-cpu-speed-stuck-800-mhz.html as maybe its something similar to this.. Hope you can help out more.

Solution