CPU Is Overheating Constantly: What Are My Options?

Mockingbirch

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014
I'm running a PC with an i7 4790k (not overclocked) and air cooling, and it's getting hot. Seriously hot, when trying to run something like Premiere Pro it can hit over 100 degrees, and inevitably will crash eventually. Even in routine use, it regularly goes into the 80s or 90s. I've been digging online to try and troubleshoot what might be going on, and have tried the following:

• ■ I've reapplied a good amount of thermal paste
    ■ I've thoroughly dusted the computer
    ■ I've checked that the fans are all spinning correctly, which they are
    ■ I've made sure that there's nothing inside the case impeding air flow and that the case itself is sealed properly

At this point I'm really out of ideas and am thinking that I might just need to completely replace the cooling system (water cooling?). Before I do that, though, I wanted to make sure there are no other important factors that I'm overlooking which may be causing this. Have I been thorough with my troubleshooting? Is replacing the cooling system the approach to take to this problem?

khaleddiv

Reputable
Jul 16, 2018
can you enter the bios and check RPM of the fans ?
if you did't find it just download a software called SpeedFan And check RPM
if you found it betwin 1500 rpm and the fan is probably fine then you should replace it .
RPM = round per minute :v

Mockingbirch

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

Sorry, I don't totally understand what you mean, are you saying that if the fan is UNDER 1500rpm that it needs to be replaced, or over?

What is your idle temperature?
Does your cooler fan spin?

I suspect that your cooler is not mounted well.
At idle, you should see about 10-15c. over ambient.
If you nudge the cooler, it should not wiggle.
Verify that all 4 pushpins are through the motherboard and locked.

Too much paste is a common mistake.
Paste is an insulator. Better than air, but not by much.
The job of paste is only to fill in microscopic pits in the mating surfaces.
A small rice sized drop in the center is all you need.
It will spread out under heat and pressure.
When installing the cooler, the trick is to push down on a diagonal pair of pins at the same time.
If you push one at a time you will never seat the cooler properly.

If your case has 160mm available for an air cooler, I can recommend the $35 scythe kotetsu.
The main benefit will be quieter operation under load.

Mockingbirch

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

It's certainly hitting above 10-15 over ambient, I'll check the integrity of the mount when I'm home. It's stayed like this through being removed from the motherboard several times though, so even if it was insecurely mounted one of those times, I can't imagine it was every time. Also didn't use excessive thermal paste. You've given me some good stuff to look at this evening, thank you.

Mockingbirch

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2014

I've generally read that it's supposed to be fine for CPUs which aren't overclocked, but considering how hot it is, I'm inclined to believe you. I'm going to run through some of the checks being suggested in this thread, but if they don't turn out to be issues I'm just going to try replacing the heat sink with aftermarket and pray that does the job. Thanks for the help!

Solution
That is strange I've never know that CPU to come with a cooler. All the "K" models usually don't have one.

For the Thermal grease, you can have too much. You should have a enough for a fine coating you can see thru. If you didn't put too much TG then perhaps you should clean out the fins on your existing CPU heatsink with a can of compressed air, or get a new cooler. The Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO is still one of the most popular though it is probably older than some on this site. There are lots of choices I believe Tom's probably covered them too.