[SOLVED] CPU is running hot - do I need a new cooler or just a repaste?

Jul 27, 2020
https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/30873598

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black Brushed Aluminum/Steel ATX Silent Modular Tempered Glass Window Mid Tower Computer Case

Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan

I have a 212 evo cooler on my 8700k cpu and it is running unusually hot when under any load. The cpu normally runs in the mid 30's while browsing online (with occasional spikes to the low 50's) and it is beginning to run at the high 70s or low 80s in games like GTA5 and Farcry 5. I want to play Man of Medan with my partner but it keeps running in the low 80's even on low settings so I haven't felt comfortable playing it longer than 5 minutes. It runs cool enough on games like Saints Row 3 (low 60's high 50's) but some poorly coded games like cataan make it run way more hot than it should.

I am wondering if I plugged something in wrong when assembling it, if we failed a roll putting on the paste, or if I need a better cooler for this cpu. I'd get more case fans but don't know where to put them. I would prefer to limit my spending but if an aio watercooler or better air cooler would make it run cool and quiet then I would gladly get one (under 150-200) if it would help.

Last edited:
Solution

Case: Fractal Design Define R6 Black Brushed Aluminum/Steel ATX Silent Modular Tempered Glass Window Mid Tower Computer Case

I have a 212 evo cooler on my 8700k cpu and it is running unusually hot when under any load. The cpu normally runs in the mid 30's while browsing online (with occasional spikes to the low 50's) and it is beginning to run at the high 70s or low 80s in games like GTA5 and Farcry 5. I want to play Man of Medan with my partner but it keeps running in the low 80's even on low settings so I haven't felt comfortable playing it longer than 5 minutes. It runs cool enough on games like Saints Row 3...
Jul 27, 2020

I have a 212 evo cooler on my 8700k cpu and it is running unusually hot when under any load. The cpu normally runs in the mid 30's while browsing online (with occasional spikes to the low 50's) and it is beginning to run at the high 70s or low 80s in games like GTA5 and Farcry 5. I want to play Man of Medan with my partner but it keeps running in the low 80's even on low settings so I haven't felt comfortable playing it longer than 5 minutes. It runs cool enough on games like Saints Row 3 (low 60's high 50's) but some poorly coded games like cataan make it run way more hot than it should.

I am wondering if I plugged something in wrong when assembling it, if we failed a roll putting on the paste, or if I need a better cooler for this cpu. I'd get more case fans but don't know where to put them. I would prefer to limit my spending but if an aio watercooler or better air cooler would make it run cool and quiet then I would gladly get one (under 150-200) if it would help.

Easiest and cheapest place to start is the paste. Have had numerous cpu problems fixed by this over the years.

Reactions: anceintsz
Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thermal paste contributes so little to actual cooling if it has been applied correctly and is still fairly fresh - not more than a few years under the heatsink, after which it dries up.
It's role is that of a bridge and not cooling.
The last Intel K SKU cpu the Hyper 212 was adequate for was the 6700K/7700K.

If you applied the paste correctly and haven't gone an extended period of time since the last change, then the thermals can be attributed to the inadequate cooler, in-game AVX instructions, or both.

Jul 27, 2020
Thermal paste contributes so little to actual cooling if it has been applied correctly and is still fairly fresh - not more than a few years under the heatsink, after which it dries up.
It's role is that of a bridge and not cooling.
The last Intel K SKU cpu the Hyper 212 was adequate for was the 6700K/7700K.

If you applied the paste correctly and haven't gone an extended period of time since the last change, then the thermals can be attributed to the inadequate cooler, in-game AVX instructions, or both.
The rig was build in mid 2018 with arctic silver so I'm assuming the paste is still current enough. The thermal issues only came up a year later under certain games so the cooler may just not be good enough. What would you recommend for an 8700k thats under 150? Would a higher end air cooler like the noctua fit the bill or would an aio watercooler in that rough budget range actually be good enough to be cooler and more quiet?

Last edited:

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
The rig was build in mid 2018 with arctic silver so I'm assuming the paste is still current enough. The thermal issues only came up a year later under certain games so the cooler may just not be good enough. What would you recommend for an 8700k thats under 150? Would a higher end air cooler like the noctua fit the bill or would an aio watercooler in that rough budget range actually be good enough to be cooler and more quiet?
150USD? Geez, you've got a crap ton of options - don't even have to spend nearly that much, and your chassis can pretty much fit any air cooler too:
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2
Noctua NH-D15S, NH-D15, NH-U14S, NH-U12A
Deepcool Assassin 3
Cryorig R1 Universal, R1 Ultimate
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

As for liquid, 280 or 360mm AIO/CLC. 240mm also works, but most of the air coolers above outperform them anyway, being closer to that of the 280mm units.
Beware: it's not as obvious as it is with air coolers, but there are silence and performance prioritized models.
The silence focused ones are, well, quiet, but performance takes a hit. I'd suggest avoiding them if you want to overclock that cpu, as they don't have any extra 'umph' to crank up out of the box; a beefier air cooler or performance liquid cooler will.
Performance models pretty much go in the opposite direction. You can run them like the silent models, but you have some extra headroom for cooling if you want to push the cpu.
If you want to go the silent route, I strongly recommend you skip straight to the 360mm range. A 280mm silent can be outdone by air or a performance 240mm when you need that performance the most.
All that really involves overclocking though, because you need to stress test for stability, and those can really put on the heat. If you're not into that, you can go with whichever one you want.

zomboromano

Reputable
Jan 27, 2018

I admit I'm pretty ignorant, but isn't it running fine?

Most computers are supposed to run at 30c on idle. That's when you aren't doing anything. So 30's while browsing is good, light gaming being in the 60's seems fair, and a little bit of heavier gaming in the 80's seems reasonable.

See this thread:

https://forums.tomshardware.com/thr...aming-should-i-change-it-immediately.2980493/

I'm not saying there isn't anything you can do to improve the cooling, just wanted to add that the temperatures aren't too bad.

I'm having issues with my Ryzen 3600, but I'm idling at 45 to 50, going to 65 or 70 on my cpu when I barely do anything but a few tabs on Chrome and download some stuff. Maybe with my processor I'm normal, but I feel like your temps are preferable to mine or others. But maybe I'm wrong.

Jul 27, 2020
150USD? Geez, you've got a crap ton of options - don't even have to spend nearly that much, and your chassis can pretty much fit any air cooler too:
Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT
Scythe FUMA 2
Noctua NH-D15S, NH-D15, NH-U14S, NH-U12A
Deepcool Assassin 3
Cryorig R1 Universal, R1 Ultimate
be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4

As for liquid, 280 or 360mm AIO/CLC. 240mm also works, but most of the air coolers above outperform them anyway, being closer to that of the 280mm units.
Beware: it's not as obvious as it is with air coolers, but there are silence and performance prioritized models.
The silence focused ones are, well, quiet, but performance takes a hit. I'd suggest avoiding them if you want to overclock that cpu, as they don't have any extra 'umph' to crank up out of the box; a beefier air cooler or performance liquid cooler will.
Performance models pretty much go in the opposite direction. You can run them like the silent models, but you have some extra headroom for cooling if you want to push the cpu.
If you want to go the silent route, I strongly recommend you skip straight to the 360mm range. A 280mm silent can be outdone by air or a performance 240mm when you need that performance the most.
All that really involves overclocking though, because you need to stress test for stability, and those can really put on the heat. If you're not into that, you can go with whichever one you want.
Thank you again for the knowledge. I was looking at some of the 280 aio coolers simply because I am wondering if the noctua or cryorig would fit in my rig currently. The 212 doesn't have much space over my ram sticks and those coolers look a bit larger.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Thank you again for the knowledge. I was looking at some of the 280 aio coolers simply because I am wondering if the noctua or cryorig would fit in my rig currently. The 212 doesn't have much space over my ram sticks and those coolers look a bit larger.
All those coolers listed are fine in your situation, because you're using low profile memory. I already took that and your chassis cooler clearance into account.
If you had some taller kits like G. Skill's Trident Z, or Corsair's Vengeance Pro, it'd be a different story.