[SOLVED] CPU is staying under load after installation of new games

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
I have installed new components along with a fresh installation of W10 and everything is running fine, all except this small problem. Over the last couple of days I have been installing my games across various platforms such as Steam, UBI, Origin etc. and my cpu seems to stay under load even after the installation of the games.

I'll download a handful of games during the night and when I wake up the cpu is still under a decent load (even though the installations have completed) and the temps are in the 70's and the fan is very audible.

CPU is a 10400f and it's cooling solution is the stock fan at this time.

It's only after I close down Steam or Origin or whatever app I was using to download and install the games does the processor return to idle. Stating the obvious, my cpu was running for an untold number of hours under load with not large tasks being performed.

How concerned should I be, and is there anything I can do to remedy this problem?

Solution
Then it might just be something that runs in the background on the installer.

but you still need to upgrade your cooler, intel stock ones are no good.

Shane Hawk

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2013
Yeah I'm fully aware I need to upgrade my cooling solution. What I don't understand is why does it take closing the application after the downloads are completed return things to normal?

I can have all gaming launchers open, steam, origin, ubi, epic and multiple youtube tabs open and things will be very close to idle temps (mid 30s-low 40s).

I can play CPU intensive games and after I quit them, within a few minutes temps return to normal idle temps.

However after installing a game, even an hour or two after the install has completed, temps stay in the 70s indefinitely until I close the gaming app. If I don't close the app after a game installation, it will not cool down.