Question CPU is stuck to the heatsink

twisterzz123456

Commendable
Feb 10, 2018
Helping my friend out by installing a new motherboard and I was taking off the heatsink and it wouldn't come off at all even with all the screws unscrewed and it took a lot of force to take off and it came off with the CPU and I didn't even undo the latch however all the CPU pins aren't bent so we're fine there but it is still stuck to the heatsink and I can't get it off for the life of me. I can't twist the CPU at all, I tried pouring alcohol on the CPU and tried taking it off with string. I also used a hairdryer to heat it up. None of these worked and I'm lost for options, any help?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Here's to hoping it isn't soldered or secured with adhesive for some reason...

How to get it off? Good question. Very thin putty knife or razor blade?

What kind of hardware is this? Was it bought pre-built, or is it hardware that someone assembled themselves?

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
SOMETIMES you can loosen the bond between heatsink and CPU when it is re-installed in the CPU socket and the locking lever locked down. But do NOT fasten the heatsink to the support brackets. This provides a reasonable fastening of the CPU distributed over all its pins. Then carefully try to twist the heatsink while the CPU chip remains held firmly by the socket. If you can get the heatsink to twist both ways a little, then its bond is reduced substantially. You MAY be able to lift it off then, but don't pull too hard. If not, un-latch the lock and remove both (CPU and heatsink) from the socket, then try to separate them again with a knife or something.

If you cannot twist it, plug the CPU fan in again and turn on the system for normal operation, but still do NOT fasten down the heatsink to its brackets. You have no need to ensure tight heat contact with the CPU - it is already stuck on! Now try to do some real work so that the CPU heats up, but not so high as to be overheated. This may do more heating of the old thermal paste that you were able to do with the hairdryer, and soften the paste enough. When it's good and warm, shut down and try again to twist the heatsink and loosen it.

twisterzz123456

Commendable
Feb 10, 2018
I managed to get it off using a lot of alcohol and a sharp thin blade however I'm worried some of the alcohol may of gotten underneath the lead of the CPU as there seem to be a few small gaps. Is this fine or could this cause problems in the future?

It was prebuilt

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
IF some alcohol did leak under the CPU lid it's probably not a big problem. By the way, I doubt that happened - most CPU lids are glued on very securely to seal, and are really hard to remove if you try - but DO NOT TRY! Anyway, IF any did get inside, the alcohol is very volatile and will evaporate easily. Then the alcohol vapour will slowly escape through the same small opening where it entered. If you want to be cautious and sure, just leave the CPU out in open air at room temperature (or even warm it a LITTLE with the hair dryer) so this evaporation / escape process can happen. Maybe give it a day before re-assembling your system with new thermal paste. Before you do that, ensure that all the old paste if cleaned off. And check the paste maker's instructions for your particular CPU chip to see exactly how much to apply, and how to spread. Often the last step is to install the CPU and lock it down in the socket, then place the heatsink on top and gently twist back and forth a bit before screwing it down.

twisterzz123456

Commendable
Feb 10, 2018
IF some alcohol did leak under the CPU lid it's probably not a big problem. By the way, I doubt that happened - most CPU lids are glued on very securely to seal, and are really hard to remove if you try - but DO NOT TRY! Anyway, IF any did get inside, the alcohol is very volatile and will evaporate easily. Then the alcohol vapour will slowly escape through the same small opening where it entered. If you want to be cautious and sure, just leave the CPU out in open air at room temperature (or even warm it a LITTLE with the hair dryer) so this evaporation / escape process can happen. Maybe give it a day before re-assembling your system with new thermal paste. Before you do that, ensure that all the old paste if cleaned off. And check the paste maker's instructions for your particular CPU chip to see exactly how much to apply, and how to spread. Often the last step is to install the CPU and lock it down in the socket, then place the heatsink on top and gently twist back and forth a bit before screwing it down.
I am letting it dry other night just to make sure and I have cleaned all the paste off and have some new thermal paste ready. Thanks :)

TRENDING THREADS