Question CPU is too hot while gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
May 6, 2022
I just installed a new cooler in my PC (Cooler master ML120) a few days ago and at idle my CPU is at 40 to 50 degrees Celsius and around 50% usage it's hitting around 90 to 100 degrees Celsius and with the cooler I tightened it down in a star pattern over the CPU. Does anyone by chance know what my problem is and how I could fix it??

May 6, 2022
Well, there's not too many things it could be now, thanks to the troubleshooting you've done:
A)Cooler is airflow choked.
B)120mm AIOs suck.
C)Both.
I had asked someone about my issue and they said 120mm AIOs suck but watching a Linus Tech Tips vid he was using the same cooler I have and he had no issues

DSzymborski

Titan
I had asked someone about my issue and they said 120mm AIOs suck but watching a Linus Tech Tips vid he was using the same cooler I have and he had no issues

But be that as it may, heat removal is a basic physical process and there are only a few things that could be wrong. If you've really eliminated a pump/fan problem or a mount problem, it can only be an airflow/ambient temp problem or an improperly clocked CPU.

May 6, 2022
But be that as it may, heat removal is a basic physical process and there are only a few things that could be wrong. If you've really eliminated a pump/fan problem or a mount problem, it can only be an airflow/ambient temp problem or an improperly clocked CPU.
I originally had the CPU overclocked, but I turned that off to help with temps, but I feel as though that didn't really improve my temps that much.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
@Voidseeker-65 You've:
-fixed the cooler mount.
-confirmed that coolant is flowing normally.
-disabled the overclock.
That leaves airflow.

"Also, I had taken my tempered glass side panel off but that didn't help with CPU temps."
It's not going to help, because:
-the radiator fan is out of the way, facing up against two walls(radiator & front panel), or sandwiched between them.
-you didn't use an external fan, like a desk or box fan, to blow air inside the PC.

120mm AIOs really aren't worth the investment, with one caveat: their only advantage is in Small Form Factor PCs that can't support a tower air cooler.

EDIT: I'd also still like to see those images - imgur.com - please remove the glass panel before taking pics.

@mdd1963 Coolant flow is good. OP has double posted(#24 and 25) that both tubes feel a little warm.

Last edited:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador

This is direct from nzxt website, with a 120mm AIO mounted at rear. Not sure how you figure its "too close to the cpu" unless you didn't first remove the fan mounted to the case. Same with top mount.

If a pump is working correctly and you have good flow, the temp difference in the tubes is generally only 1-3°C different. Not enough for ppl to tell any difference, both should feel warm after acclimating to whatever load.

120mm are not really an issue. They generally perform almost exactly the same as a CM Hyper212 Evo, and thats the gripe, they cost double (at the time) what that air cooler does, for the same performance, same capacity, @ 140w. Nowadays, the Hyper212 is @ $50 and an Aio @ $60 and Noctua cost more than that.

A decent aio will last @ 5-7 years, depending on use. Most ppl dump their pc about the same time, sometimes earlier. The new pc, they'll get a new cooler. So longetivity is generally a moot point. A NH-D15 I'd prolly keep, a CM hyper212 that's 7 years old? Prolly not since the fan would be on its last legs anyway.

May 6, 2022

This is direct from nzxt website, with a 120mm AIO mounted at rear. Not sure how you figure its "too close to the cpu" unless you didn't first remove the fan mounted to the case. Same with top mount.

If a pump is working correctly and you have good flow, the temp difference in the tubes is generally only 1-3°C different. Not enough for ppl to tell any difference, both should feel warm after acclimating to whatever load.

120mm are not really an issue. They generally perform almost exactly the same as a CM Hyper212 Evo, and thats the gripe, they cost double (at the time) what that air cooler does, for the same performance, same capacity, @ 140w. Nowadays, the Hyper212 is @ $50 and an Aio @ $60 and Noctua cost more than that.

A decent aio will last @ 5-7 years, depending on use. Most ppl dump their pc about the same time, sometimes earlier. The new pc, they'll get a new cooler. So longetivity is generally a moot point. A NH-D15 I'd prolly keep, a CM hyper212 that's 7 years old? Prolly not since the fan would be on its last legs anyway.
I had only tried to mount to top fan

May 6, 2022
@Voidseeker-65 You've:
-fixed the cooler mount.
-confirmed that coolant is flowing normally.
-disabled the overclock.
That leaves airflow.

"Also, I had taken my tempered glass side panel off but that didn't help with CPU temps."
It's not going to help, because:
-the radiator fan is out of the way, facing up against two walls(radiator & front panel), or sandwiched between them.
-you didn't use an external fan, like a desk or box fan, to blow air inside the PC.

120mm AIOs really aren't worth the investment, with one caveat: their only advantage is in Small Form Factor PCs that can't support a tower air cooler.

EDIT: I'd also still like to see those images - imgur.com - please remove the glass panel before taking pics.

@mdd1963 Coolant flow is good. OP has double posted(#24 and 25) that both tubes feel a little warm.
I tried using Imgur but I can't figure out how to post photos. I looked but didn't have any luck

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I tried using Imgur but I can't figure out how to post photos. I looked but didn't have any luck
Green Add Images button > Browse button > locate images > double click, or open the image you want to upload > repeat for all images > they should be in the images list now
click on one, and you should see a bunch of copy buttons - click the first one, come back to this page, right-click and paste > done.

May 6, 2022
Green Add Images button > Browse button > locate images > double click, or open the image you want to upload > repeat for all images > they should be in the images list now
click on one, and you should see a bunch of copy buttons - click the first one, come back to this page, right-click and paste > done.
I understand that but on my phone I don't see that but if I look on my PC I can find it. I tried to transfer my photos to my PC but it only picked up my phone's SD card and not the actual storage where my camera photos are stored

DSzymborski

Titan
I feel super dumb. I made a rookie mistake left the plastic on the cooler block. That fixed my issue I'm pretty sure when I took it off

Don't feel bad, everyone has a screwup from time to time. The ones that don't cost you anything are the best ones.

Of course, the best way to avoid slipups is by checking things, not just assuming! @drivinfast247 gave that as the very first diagnostic idea in the thread two weeks ago!

Reactions: drivinfast247
May 6, 2022
I put my CPU under 100% load yesterday and it didn't go over 59 degrees Celsius. But it was only at that load for a couple minutes otherwise I had it under 30 to 40% load with great temps