CPU issues with socket

KyLo_ReN

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017
I have put in my cpu to the socket and have put down the metal clip. About halfway, the fans suddenly turn on for about half a second. When I push down on the CPU, it turns on for half a second. Please Help!

Solution
The problem is that cpu is not supported by that motherboard without a bios update first, Intel 100 series motherboards don't generally support kaby lake out of the box, you'll need a sky lake cpu to update the bios or exchange the board for a 200 series board, something like a Z270 B250 or H270

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017

What ???? Did you read the manual about to how install the CPU, what about the heatsink and fan, if your CPU is even still alive and you've not fired it, get the manual out and study it.

What are your system specs.

Tmas_

Prominent
May 24, 2017
If you were building it and the fan went off when no power was intentionally supplied to the pc, then there is a good chance that you fried it. For future reference; never build with your PSU plugged into the wall. (Unless you are grounding yourself to it externally.)

KyLo_ReN

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Here are my specs:
Mobo: asus h110m-e
CPU: i5-7400
PSU: 450w corsair
RAM: 8gb ddr4 crucial
that should be all you need

I read the manual and built it properly but it didnt turn on. Checked pins, PCIE, PSU. Still didnt work. I opened up the cpu socket to check if it was in properly. The fans turned on for a split second. Then I put the lever back down. Turned on for a split second. Its not like I was completely stupid.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
The problem is that cpu is not supported by that motherboard without a bios update first, Intel 100 series motherboards don't generally support kaby lake out of the box, you'll need a sky lake cpu to update the bios or exchange the board for a 200 series board, something like a Z270 B250 or H270

Solution

KyLo_ReN

Prominent
Jun 17, 2017

Thanks! I'll flash the motherboard. I've got a i3-6100 in my PC (the build is for a friend). I'll send you a message if I get another issue.

If Seanie280672 did solve your problem please select that as the solution. These questions and answers live on "forever". In the future someone may have this issue and you selecting an answer as the solution lets them know which solution has the best chance of solving their problem.

On a side note, there is nothing proper about constructing a PC with the power connected.

When I push down on the CPU, it turns on for half a second.

When someone enters their chassis the power cable shouldn't be connected.

Seanie280672

Estimable
Mar 19, 2017
Myself, I always build the motherboard up on the box it came in, so I insert the cpu, ram and put the heatsink and fan on, before I screw it into the case, then connect things like hard drives, graphics cards, sound cards etc, and finally, power leads to everything.