Question CPU issues

Aug 25, 2019
Bought a used i7 2700k to replace my i3 2125 which is in an Asus P8 Z77 M PRO.

It doesn't boot up unfortunately and I am looking to troubleshoot before sending it back.

I have updated the BIOS but it's still not working.

I also suspect RAM although in theory it should work...(4 x 4gb sticks of ddr3, 1600)...

Are there any thoughts on what other steps I could take to confirm its the CPU....

InvalidError

Titan
Reset CMOS to load safe default values if you haven't done that already. Try with only one pair of DIMMs installed to reduce the likelihood of a memory compatibility issue. You could also use your known-good CPU to manually lower memory clock to 1333MT/s.

Aug 25, 2019
I checked the BIOS settings and it was already set to 1333 and 1.5v.......i think this must be the default for sandy bridge...

I also rest CMOS too....

I also just tried with just one stick of RAM.....should I try two...?

Thanks for the reply....

InvalidError

Titan
If it didn't work with only one DIMM installed in whatever slot the manual recommends for single DIMM, then more DIMMs shouldn't fare any better. What you can do though is try every slot with one DIMM.

If you have a PC speaker connected to the motherboard header or the motherboard has a built-in one, no beep whatsoever from it means the CPU isn't getting far enough into its power-up sequence to start reading and executing BIOS, which means a problem is occurring before RAM ever becomes a factor. Disconnect all non-essential hardware (as in only leave the CPU+MoBo+RAM) and try again. If the PC is boot-looping, this may just be the BIOS going through memory training, let it go on for a minute or two.

Aug 25, 2019
If it didn't work with only one DIMM installed in whatever slot the manual recommends for single DIMM, then more DIMMs shouldn't fare any better. What you can do though is try every slot with one DIMM.

If you have a PC speaker connected to the motherboard header or the motherboard has a built-in one, no beep whatsoever from it means the CPU isn't getting far enough into its power-up sequence to start reading and executing BIOS, which means a problem is occurring before RAM ever becomes a factor. Disconnect all non-essential hardware (as in only leave the CPU+MoBo+RAM) and try again. If the PC is boot-looping, this may just be the BIOS going through memory training, let it go on for a minute or two.

So no beep definitely ellimates the RAM as a culprit......that's so e good information there....thanks....

So should I disconnet everything physically....like should I remove additional sata cables from the motherboard....or just disconnect at the hard drive end for example...

What about additional fans etc....

InvalidError

Titan
also, I'm not totally sure on it but I believe the 2700k requires 8pin power not 4pin.
I doubt that: the weakest MiniFitJr pin variant I have seen is still rated for 8A per pin and there are two 12V pins in the 4-pin connector so even 4-pin should be enough for ~170W. Wiring-wise, #18 can do up to 16A in chassis applications so no problem there either even if they were copper-plated aluminum. There is no reason to require 8-pin unless doing heavy OC or using a CPU with ridiculously high TDP, though it is still desirable for improved efficiency. (And slightly better stability under heavy/extreme OC.)

Aug 25, 2019
Did you disconnect the CPU power when changing CPUs and make sure to plugged it back in? also, I'm not totally sure on it but I believe the 2700k requires 8pin power not 4pin.

All power was disconnected from the PC and cables unplugged....

I also believe the CPU connection I have is 8 pin...P8z77 mpro board...