[SOLVED] CPU issues?

Jun 11, 2021
I have a amd phenom II x2 550 and was running on Gigabyte 880GM D2H for few years until the other day stopped working, the fan and lights came on but no beeps and no display... I had a spare MB (gigabyte 880GMA UD2H) which all seems to be working BUT I noticed when I reboot the "POST" shows phenom II x2 550 most of the but sometimes it shows phenom II x4 B55... I dont have any overclocking or cores unlocked, its all stock and default setting... when it picks it up as X4 I usually end up gettin BSOD as windows starts loading.. maybe its the CPU after all?

Solution
thanks... I just find it so weird how it can pickup different CPU
Nothing wrong with your CPU, Most Phenom II x2 550/555 can enable 2 more cores on proper MB (with eventual help from a bit higher voltage) and so become x4 B55.
Check BIOS and enable "Core unlocking" so you have B55 all the time.
Jun 11, 2021
Nothing wrong with your CPU, Most Phenom II x2 550/555 can enable 2 more cores on proper MB (with eventual help from a bit higher voltage) and so become x4 B55.
Check BIOS and enable "Core unlocking" so you have B55 all the time.
yes Im aware but why at one reboot it shows x4 and next reboot it shows x2... maybe power supply issue????

yes Im aware but why at one reboot it shows x4 and next reboot it shows x2....
Because core unlocking is unreliable, sometimes the extra cores initialize sometimes not during POST. And when they do initialize you might get errors, or BSOD's, since there was a reason AMD disabled the cores. So make sure it's disabled.

Some motherboards have a switch on the motherboard so make sure that's also disabled. Check your manual (you can download one from Gigabyte support site) to see how it's done for yours.

Jun 11, 2021
Because core unlocking is unreliable, sometimes the extra cores initialize sometimes not during POST. And when they do initialize you might get errors, or BSOD's, since there was a reason AMD disabled the cores. So make sure it's disabled.

Some motherboards have a switch on the motherboard so make sure that's also disabled. Check your manual (you can download one from Gigabyte support site) to see how it's done for yours.
yes but thats the issue.. in the bios the extra cores are disabled but still randomly they turn on

Jun 11, 2021
I think I got it ... I have reset the bios, cleared the bios and even took out the battery but nothing helped.... so strangely, I ENABLED the CPU unlock, saved it and went back in and DISABLED it again and now seems OK - so far

Reactions: drea.drechsler
I think I got it ... I have reset the bios, cleared the bios and even took out the battery but nothing helped.... so strangely, I ENABLED the CPU unlock, saved it and went back in and DISABLED it again and now seems OK - so far
wow...I've done things like that before to straighten settings out but I'd have thought a CMOS reset would have done it. Good to know you've got it going :)

If it continues to hold, and you're comfortable with experimenting, you might try out @CountMike's suggestion: enable the setting (again) to enable all 4 cores then raise voltage. Be sure to test for stability even if it boots Windows.

Last edited:
Jun 11, 2021
wow...I've done things like that before to straighten settings out but I'd have thought a CMOS reset would have done it. Good to know you've got it going :)

If it continues to hold, and you're comfortable with experimenting, you might try out @CountMike's suggestion: enable the setting (again) to enable all 4 cores then raise voltage. Be sure to test for stability even if it boots Windows.
wow this is SO WEIRD.... now I cant get it to boot with x4 even with CPU unlock enabled.. lol