Question CPU jumps to 100% usage when playing any game

May 11, 2020
First of all, this has started happening in the past week or so, I am aware my CPU is a bit dated but I have never experienced this problem previously.

My PC specs are:
CPU - Intel i5-4690k
CPU cooler - Corsair H100i platinum
GPU - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8Gb
PSU - EVGA Supernova G2 550W
RAM - Corsair Vengeance 16Gb DDR3
Mobo - MSI Z97 Gaming 5
Monitors - BenQ GL2450 60hz and BenQ XL2411P 144hz

My CPU usage idles at around 20% with a couple programs open (Steam, Firefox etc), however when I start any game up my CPU usage jumps from 20% to 100% with the game taking up the majority of usage (around 80%). I have also noticed that moving my mouse around the screen tends to make the CPU usage of a program spike suddenly if my cursor is over it (Firefox, explorer etc)

I have started by checking my CPU/GPU temps, they idle at 35°C/47°C and rise to 46°C/64°C respectively when playing a resource demanding game (PUBG for example). I have also ran antivirus and malwarebytes scans and removed any threats to my PC, this covers any viruses eating up my CPU usage. I have removed, cleaned and reapplied thermal paste to both my CPU/GPU.

My RAM usage idles at around 22% and goes up to around 34% when in game, with the game itself and Firefox usually being the only programs using more than 1Gb. I have also ensured that my games are using the GPU instead of the CPU when running.

After doing all of these checks I suspect that either my CPU or GPU is dying on me but I wanted to see if there are any other potential solutions to this problem, so any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

gingerrankin

Respectable
Apr 3, 2018
Your idle CPU usage shouldn't exceed 4% -5%. If it reaches 20%, there is a process that is consuming a lot of CPU. Look at the task manager to identify it.

In any case, these symptoms do not indicate that the CPU / GPU is dying.

May 11, 2020
Your idle CPU usage shouldn't exceed 4% -5%. If it reaches 20%, there is a process that is consuming a lot of CPU. Look at the task manager to identify it.

In any case, these symptoms do not indicate that the CPU / GPU is dying.
Without anything running except task manager, it idles at ~6%. That I've noticed is that if any background process starts running (like on startup) , it makes the cpu usage spike to 30/40/50%. Launching Firefox, steam etc will cause it to spike to 80% and then it settles to around 50%, launching any game will make it max out to 100% and it pretty much sits there while the game is running. It's definitely not any background process or program making it do this, plus I've uninstall any software downloaded in the past couple of weeks which has ruled that out.

It's definitely starting to feel like it might just be the cpu on its way out, might just bite the bullet and give my PC a long overdue upgrade.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts