[SOLVED] CPU jumps to 206°C

fireclaw20

Reputable
Feb 29, 2016
I have a AMD Ryzen 5 2600 (not overclocked) with the stock cooler, it idles around 45°C. In AMD Ryzen Master I can sometimes see the CPU randomly jump from current temps to 206°C back to the current temps, Obviously bad readings because my pc would have combusted in front of my eyes, but does it have a negative effect on performance? Should I look into it? I can post a screenshot when I see it happening again.

Solution
The thermocouple temperature sensor can sometimes do that. It is more apt to do that if there is any degradation of the leads to the sensor. In this case since those are leads are on the motherboard, it is most likely a problem with the specific application. I would use the specific motherboard utility or the BIOS to confirm those temperature before worrying too much. The CPU will automatically shut down long before those temperatures are reached (assuming that you have a working CPU cooler). The temperatures can spike really high without a CPU cooler though.
The thermocouple temperature sensor can sometimes do that. It is more apt to do that if there is any degradation of the leads to the sensor. In this case since those are leads are on the motherboard, it is most likely a problem with the specific application. I would use the specific motherboard utility or the BIOS to confirm those temperature before worrying too much. The CPU will automatically shut down long before those temperatures are reached (assuming that you have a working CPU cooler). The temperatures can spike really high without a CPU cooler though.

Solution