Cpu keeps jumping up to 100% while gaming

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I've just now noticed this, so far it's happened with the Sims 3 alot... Built the computer last February without playing a game cpu is around 17 and then while playing the Sims around 30 then out of no where jumps to 100 and crashes the game or whole system to where I have to a hard shutdown or it tells me something happened and I have to restart my system.

So far last time I tried to play the Sims I played 3 minutes not including the loading untill it crashed my whole system. Does anyone know what this could be

Solution

Those are nice specs, but im sure the sims shouldnt be maxing your cpu usage.
Is the sims the only thing that is maxing your usage?
To be honest, im not an expert so i can only give you so many answers.
1. Run other programs and track their usage (to see if we can rule out that it is just the sims)
2. Download HWmonitor and check your temp while on the sims
3. When you said before "it tells me something happened and I have to restart my system" What exactly does it say?
4. When EXACTLY did this start happening?

Reapertyrion

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

I have had this kind of problem before, i play SWTOR alot and it use to crash my cpu at 100% and cause freezing.
I found the solution was that i had a lot of background processes going on, all i did was this:
Hold windows key = R, type in "msconfig" and hit enter, go to the startup tab on the window that opens, and uncheck any boxes that you dont want to start when your computer boots up. For my case, i stopped itunes, hamachi, geforce experience and some other stuff... After that you should have pretty much no background programs running when you startup, give this a try?

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
ive tried that, for instance right now i just turned the computer one and my cpu percentage jumped around form 1% to 9% sims 3 while playing is like 40 and then out of no where jumps to 100 only a few minutes in

Reapertyrion

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Okay, so is this happening with just the sims game? Try a different game and if the same thing happens let me know.

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

i5 3570k
16gb ram
64 bit windows 8.1
gtx 660 2gb

Reapertyrion

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Those are nice specs, but im sure the sims shouldnt be maxing your cpu usage.
Is the sims the only thing that is maxing your usage?
To be honest, im not an expert so i can only give you so many answers.
1. Run other programs and track their usage (to see if we can rule out that it is just the sims)
2. Download HWmonitor and check your temp while on the sims
3. When you said before "it tells me something happened and I have to restart my system" What exactly does it say?
4. When EXACTLY did this start happening?

Solution

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
accidently picked solved but thanks i built it last year and ive been trying a few games im just hoping its with steam because a few people are having this problem so im downloading it on origin to see if that solves it hopefully, also about the cpu usage i can track thru my keyboard it shows the cpu and ram also how hot it is, which will never over heat since i have 8 fans in my computer

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

also this just started today but then again i havent played the sims in a couple months but since i seen a sale i decided to play and the first time i played today i was able to play to like 2 hours before it started happening.

and also it froze earlier and then went to a black screen, i tried to win D it but nothing happened then a sad face came out and said something unexpected happened and it was gonna restart my system.

Reapertyrion

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

No problem, i dont mind being your accidental solution :)

Steam.... is one of the programs i stay away from after having troubles with it in the past.
Origin is a lot better (i think). Perhaps the solution could be as simple as that, we hope.
But let us know how it turns out! Good luck!

Reapertyrion

Reputable
Mar 2, 2014

Sounds like steam crashing... My advice? Get rid, their are better programs out there!

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

oh wow lol alright well hopefully it works ill check tomorrow i just hope my saves can carry over because i like what ive done so far

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
I highly doubt Steam is what's causing your spikes to %100. Sounds more like a virus or some kind of spyware taking up resources. I've has this exact problem with my AMD rig a few years ago and it ended up being a virus.

Download a program called "MalwareBytes" and do a full system scan. Correct any problems, reboot, and report back if the game plays good. MB is free and by far my most favorite antiviral program. This thig caught stuff expensive antivirus software never caught.

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

how would the virus only work for this game tho when i play games all day???