CPU laptop upgrade - issues

xaryon

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2013
Hi,

I'm a proud owner of a HP Pavilion DV5-1060ew, which still works perfectly up to this day and mostly being used when I'm away from home to surf the net and talk to my friends over Discord. However, the CPU sometimes shows it's age and I was wondering about upgrading it. It's an Intel Core 2 Duo P8400.

The HP's website and their customer service says, that oficially the best upgrade I could get is another dual core, a T9600. However, I was informed that since this is a Socket P, I might be able to put a quad core in it and it could work.

So, I got myself an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9000, spent around $10 for it at the local shop. Installed it, cleaned the cooling and other parts along the way, put it back together aaaaaand... Yeah. Nothing. The laptop turns on, so it's a good sign, but the screen is black, the LED light from HDD is flashing red and LED lights from caps lock and num lock are blinking.

So my question is - is this an insufficient power supply, I put it back the wrong way or is this mobo/CPU not compatible after all? What can I do to make this work?

NO, I WON'T THROW IT AWAY - it has a sentimental value since I got it for my 18th birthday from my grandparents. I want it to work as long as possible :)

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
*Might* would be the key word there.

Unfortunately, in addition to socket compatibility, you'll also require BIOS support & appropriate cooling - they usually go hand in hand. Generally, in laptops, that's limited to the CPUs that were available in the product stack from the factory. From a cooling standpoint, the T9600 is 35W, the Q9000 is 45W, so I'd doubt the laptop could appropriately cool it.... therefore, BIOS support for it likely doesn't exist (at least from HP).

BIOS Mods may be available for it, but they have the potential to brick your laptop.

Turns on, just means it's getting power & nothings shorting it...... the lack of a display out is not a very good sign.