[SOLVED] CPU LED flash, shutdown, startup. Cause?

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017
Started having this issue a few days back where when I start my PC it boots for a second, then as the CPU LED turns on the PC shuts off, then after a few seconds it boots up like nothing happened. From there it prompts me to enter the BIOS at which point I can just save and exit and use my PC like nothing was out of the ordinary. No RAM faults, no CPU issues (that I've experienced yet), just all normal.

Specifically this only happens when the PC has been turned off at the power supply (or power socket). If I leave the power on at the wall or power supply the next time I boot it up there is no hiccup.

This has started happening after a period of a few weeks of my PC being unused and unplugged at the wall. I pressed all the power cables and GPU to make sure it's plugged in, took out the CMOS battery for a minute (as if I knew what I was doing lol). It's a bit dusty but it's been far worse (I clean it out a couple times a year).

Any ideas what the cause is?

Started having this issue a few days back where when I start my PC it boots for a second, then as the CPU LED turns on the PC shuts off, then after a few seconds it boots up like nothing happened. From there it prompts me to enter the BIOS at which point I can just save and exit and use my PC like nothing was out of the ordinary. No RAM faults, no CPU issues (that I've experienced yet), just all normal.

Specifically this only happens when the PC has been turned off at the power supply (or power socket). If I leave the power on at the wall or power supply the next time I boot it up there is no hiccup.

This has started happening after a period of a few weeks of my PC being unused and unplugged at the wall. I pressed all the power cables and GPU to make sure it's plugged in, took out the CMOS battery for a minute (as if I knew what I was doing lol). It's a bit dusty but it's been far worse (I clean it out a couple times a year).

Any ideas what the cause is?
This is pretty common...and usually (in my world) it's the PSU.

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017
...as in I'd replace it.
What model is it?
How old?
What GPU and CPU?
It's an EVGA Supanova G3 650 with i7-7700k and an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

I've had this set up for something like 5 years give or take. Never had an issue until this a couple of days ago. Is there a reason why leaving my PC unplugged for a few weeks would cause this? I've always switched off at the power board all these years.

I've also noticed the BIOS resets the clock to 00:00 on cold boot and the windows clock remains at the time it was when I shut the PC down and switch off at the power supply. CMOS battery?

Last edited:

muthabord

Reputable
Aug 11, 2017
[SOLVED]

After a CMOS battery switch i have successfully cold booted twice. I'm going to assume it's fixed. I've never dealt with this sort of thing before so it was a worry. Close call! Thanks!