Question CPU LED is lit when PC is not powered on ?

Hello, this is probably going to be long, so I apologize.

I decided to buy my brother a PC for Christmas but it seems like everything has gone wrong with it. I ordered every piece from multiple stores that had a reasonable price and immediate availability. At least half of the components arrived broken or a bit damaged at least the boxes due to the courier services in my country being "overwhelmed" since the pandemic almost 3 years ago (yet they do nothing to change that) and "mishandled" the packages. Not going to elaborate more on this, it's getting a lot on my nerves already.

The components I ordered:
CPU: 13600k
Mobo: gigabyte z790 aorus elite ax
Ram: Kingston fury ddr5 5600
Cooler: arctic liquid freezer Ii 360
GPU: 3060 Ti
SSD: Samsung 980 500GB
PSU: Corsair Hx850i

I had to return the Mobo as it arrived bent in 2 of it's corners, ram as it was slashed open and had scratches, PSU as it had been also slashed open but although it worked, there was a clicking sound that was coming from it every time the GPU was being used (which also increased in occurrence for the 3 days it was used) and lastly the new replacement ram for a second time since they were again heavily damaged.

I should mention that Mobo(which I returned) and CPU arrived together in the same shipping and although the box of the CPU was damaged (just a bit pressed), there was no indication the CPU had any damages.

I assembled everything after the replacements (except from the PSU that I am still waiting because I noticed the clicking sound while using the system) and installed windows 11, drivers, various programs, updated bios to F3g (previous was F2) and did some benchmarking to see how it performs. Everything was performing as it should.

On the third day (going slowly as I have also to work and I do this on my free time), I noticed the CPU status LED on the motherboard is lit when the system is not powered on. While the system is powered on, the CPU system led turns off. It's orange in color if that's important. I can't remember the led being on the first two days but to be honest I wasn't looking the motherboard while the system was off.

The mobo manual states: "If the CPU/DRAM/VGA LED is on, that means the corresponding device is not working normally"

Since the system boots and CPU performs as it should (cinebench and games tested), does it still mean that there is something wrong with the CPU? I am confused because I haven't had the led on before powering on the system and off afterwards.

TL;DR: CPU status led on motherboard is lit when system is off, it goes out when system is powered on and works as it should. Should I be concerned ?

Is there a chance it's a bios firmware bug? Should I rma the CPU also?

Last edited:

alanvatrox

Honorable
Aug 27, 2017
Hi there!
I read the manual and it also states: "if the BOOT LED is on, that means you haven't entered the operating system yet."
Maybe this is what you're seeing? The manual doesn't detail much about this unfortunately.

Also, have you connected the 2-8pin connector from the PSU to the top of the motherboard?