Question CPU LED lights then computer shuts down. No boot/BIOS

Dec 28, 2020
Lately my computer has been shutting off (hard shutoff as if power cable is yanked. No automatic reboot) while gaming.

I suspected overheating due to one of the case fans dieing so I opened the case and place a fan blowing into the case to help with circulation until I could get a new fan in place. However the system continued to randomly shutdown (started happening over the last two weeks or so). I replaced the PSU thinking it was possibly a culprit, but the problem persists. After it shutdown on me twice tonight ( CPU temps while playing were 79 and 85c at each shutdown so was hot for sure but inside of specs) I pulled the heatsink and checked the water cooling lines etc and then reseated (I did not apply new thermal paste). Now my computer refuses to boot. I've tried swapping ram in and out. Removed the GPU and tried booting with just CPU and HDD and am getting nothing. Computer turns on. Fans spin up. MOBO LEDs cycle until it hits the CPU LED and it shuts down. Total on time of about 3 -5 seconds (it sits on the VGA light for awhile).

Someone suggested I apply new thermal paste and try again...but I have none on hand so will go buy some tomorrow...but wanted to see if anyone had other ideas in the mean time. THANKS!

EDIT: The system ONLY powered off while gaming. I could leave it idle on the desktop for hours/days and no power off.

MOBO: ASUS SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 AM3+ 990FX/SB950 USB 3.0 Motherboard
CPU:
AMD 8350 FX 8 core 4.0 GHZ processor
GPU: GeForce 1050 ti GPU
RAM: 16 GB DDR3 ram
850 watt PSU.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2020
Just an update. I applied removed the heatsink again and cleaned and applied new thermal paste. The computer booted straight up and is idling around 64c during a prime95 stress test thats been running about 20 minutes.