Question CPU led solid when switched to new case

May 25, 2020
So I built a new budget computer with a MOBO I bought a few years ago and everything was running fine but my case was old and cramped so I opted to upgrade and get a new heatsink. Got everything installed and everything seems to be working but the red ez bug light is on for CPU and it won't boot. I've tried reseating everything, tried removing RAM , removing battery, removing all but psu RAM & cpu, still there. Please help I don't know what I did wrong, new to building.

Here's what I'm running:
MSI B150 PC Mate mobo

Intel i5 6600K 3.50 GHz Quad Core Skylake

Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5 128 Bit

OLOy DDR4 RAM 16GB 3000 MHz CL16 1.35V 288-Pin x2

Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+ power supply

Thermaltake UX100 5V Motherboard ARGB Sync

If I'm missing any components let me know please, thank you!

May 25, 2020
received_249876052756701.jpeg
20200525_164840.jpg

I would check the motherboard mounting to see if it is shorting anywhere on the new case by contacting the case. If you didn't have enough standoffs and in the right places, this could be your root cause.

Also, try just simply booting with a single memory modules and the cpu/gpu (if gpu needed). If you can boot this way, something else is causing the problem.

May 25, 2020
I would check the motherboard mounting to see if it is shorting anywhere on the new case by contacting the case. If you didn't have enough standoffs and in the right places, this could be your root cause.

Also, try just simply booting with a single memory modules and the cpu/gpu (if gpu needed). If you can boot this way, something else is causing the problem.

I did dismount and reseat it and all 6 standoffs are even and secure, I even tried moving it back to my old case to see if that was the problem and no-go. I've tried with & without gpu, and RAM. Only thing I've yet to try is checking a different CPU which I may try today. Thank you for the replies. Still stumped. Not sure if I damaged something or of it's simply a connection error but everything is in there secure.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
On that picture, right side of the socket, about 7 rows down from the socket corner and 2 rows out from the socket is a wonky pin. Don't know if that'd affect anything, or may just not be making contact or pushing to the side etc.

Really good clarity picture BTW, makes it very easy to zoom on a cell phone. Imgur is usually next to useless in comparison..

Also, is that paste on the underside of the cpu, just to the left and below the gap in pins at top dead center? If so, paste is usually non conductive so it's possible it's creating a barrier with pin contact when you cleaned off the paste originally.

If the debug is stopping at cpu, according to msi it's a cpu 'not detected or fail', the ram, vga, boot has other lights if it's one of them at fault.

Oh, are peripherals hooked up? Kb, mouse, any other Sata or USB things plugged in? Or are you trying this testing 'bare-bones'?

Last edited:
May 25, 2020
On that picture, right side of the socket, about 7 rows down from the socket corner and 2 rows out from the socket is a wonky pin. Don't know if that'd affect anything, or may just not be making contact or pushing to the side etc.

Really good clarity picture BTW, makes it very easy to zoom on a cell phone. Imgur is usually next to useless in comparison..

Also, is that paste on the underside of the cpu, just to the left and below the gap in pins at top dead center? If so, paste is usually non conductive so it's possible it's creating a barrier with pin contact when you cleaned off the paste originally.

If the debug is stopping at cpu, according to msi it's a cpu 'not detected or fail', the ram, vga, boot has other lights if it's one of them at fault.

Oh, are peripherals hooked up? Kb, mouse, any other Sata or USB things plugged in? Or are you trying this testing 'bare-bones'?

The grey smudge I thought was paste at first too but it was a glare I think, as I didn't see anything with a closer inspection of CPU. How would I go about correcting a pin without damaging others around it? I've never tried. The peripherals were originally plugged in and none powered on so I unhooked it all and made no difference. If it is the cpu socket pin being out of place how does that even happen if I hadn't removed it when switching cases? 😅:unsure: