[SOLVED] Cpu lifespan with overclock

Hugo Orlando

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Hello, I just achieved a stable oc for my i7 4790k at 4.6Ghz at 1.25v. I first tested its stability with Realbench doing 5 passes without a problem at a max temp of 83 celsius.
Then I went with Intel XTU with an average of 75 celsius. In the other hand gaming temps in Red Dead Redemption 2 do not exceed 68 celsius. I have had this chip for almost 4 years without OC so the main question I have is how much lifespan would I get considering how old it is, the voltage Im running it and the temps Im getting. Lastly I have another question that might be off-topic regarding pairing this chip with an rtx 2070 and a possible bottleneck even with that overclock.

System specs:

i7 4790K
Msi GTX 980 4G
G Skill 2400 16gb
Thermaltake smart M 1000w bronze plus

Thanks.

Solution
That's a decent OC. The lifespan of the chip largely is determined by how much heat and voltage is going through it. There wouldn't be a bottleneck with an RTX 2070. I had a GTX 1080 ti with a stock 4790k just last year and it did very well. Don't worry about the lifespan of your CPU while overclocked. You're not pushing it with the voltage or really doing anything I'd consider dangerous. It might knock off a few months. Maybe a year. Depends on its usage really. Either way it will likely live until it's no longer relevant. By then an upgrade will be necessary anyway. In fact in just 2 or maybe 3 more years you'll probably hit a wall with it and no longer be able to run all of the latest games.

So.. Don't worry about anything. The...
That's a decent OC. The lifespan of the chip largely is determined by how much heat and voltage is going through it. There wouldn't be a bottleneck with an RTX 2070. I had a GTX 1080 ti with a stock 4790k just last year and it did very well. Don't worry about the lifespan of your CPU while overclocked. You're not pushing it with the voltage or really doing anything I'd consider dangerous. It might knock off a few months. Maybe a year. Depends on its usage really. Either way it will likely live until it's no longer relevant. By then an upgrade will be necessary anyway. In fact in just 2 or maybe 3 more years you'll probably hit a wall with it and no longer be able to run all of the latest games.

So.. Don't worry about anything. The only GPU I would not pair with that CPU is the RTX 2080 ti or above. RTX 2080 Super = slight bottleneck at 1440p, Major bottleneck at 1080p, and at 4K I would expect little to no bottleneck. Same for RTX 2080 down to RTX 2070 Super. The bottleneck likely won't matter anyway because framerates will already be very high. RTX 2070 = only bottlenecked at 1080p. Maybe very slight bottleneck at 1440p but at that resolution you're going to be more GPU bound with that graphics card anyway.

For 1080p I recommend RTX 2060 Super or below.

Reactions: Hugo Orlando
Solution

Hugo Orlando

Reputable
May 22, 2016

So.. Don't worry about anything. The only GPU I would not pair with that CPU is the RTX 2080 ti or above. RTX 2080 Super = slight bottleneck at 1440p, Major bottleneck at 1080p, and at 4K I would expect little to no bottleneck. Same for RTX 2080 down to RTX 2070 Super. The bottleneck likely won't matter anyway because framerates will already be very high. RTX 2070 = only bottlenecked at 1080p. Maybe very slight bottleneck at 1440p but at that resolution you're going to be more GPU bound with that graphics card anyway.

For 1080p I recommend RTX 2060 Super or below.
Thanks for your answer. I have planned to upgrade to a zotac rtx 2070 for playing at 1080p, how bad would the bottleneck be? Would I at least get a big improvement over my gtx 980?

Thanks for your answer. I have planned to upgrade to a zotac rtx 2070 for playing at 1080p, how bad would the bottleneck be? Would I at least get a big improvement over my gtx 980?
Huge improvement over the GTX 980. At 1080p the RTX 2070 will be bottlenecked in most games but as more games come out and demand more graphical horsepower you'll be glad you went with a slightly more powerful GPU than you needed. The fps will be so high that it won't matter. You will be limited by the CPU. However most CPU's will be bottlenecked by an RTX 2070 at 1080p as the card is really more geared toward 1440p. You will be able to turn most if not all of the graphics settings up at 1080p and quite frankly I would definitely do that. It would be like having GTX 980's in sli except it's a single card and also you get the RTX features.

Hugo Orlando

Reputable
May 22, 2016
Huge improvement over the GTX 980. At 1080p the RTX 2070 will be bottlenecked in most games but as more games come out and demand more graphical horsepower you'll be glad you went with a slightly more powerful GPU than you needed. The fps will be so high that it won't matter. You will be limited by the CPU. However most CPU's will be bottlenecked by an RTX 2070 at 1080p as the card is really more geared toward 1440p. You will be able to turn most if not all of the graphics settings up at 1080p and quite frankly I would definitely do that. It would be like having GTX 980's in sli except it's a single card and also you get the RTX features.
Thats nice to know! I will be getting a 1440p monitor in the future. As a last question, what do you think about the temps that i posted with that oc?

Thats nice to know! I will be getting a 1440p monitor in the future. As a last question, what do you think about the temps that i posted with that oc?
They are excellent. In a stress test you'd expect higher than normal temps. So that's why you get 75c and 83c. Even then those are well within the safe limits. Above 85c it's starting to get hot. 90c is the point where you might wanna back off on the OC a bit.

Hugo Orlando

Reputable
May 22, 2016
They are excellent. In a stress test you'd expect higher than normal temps. So that's why you get 75c and 83c. Even then those are well within the safe limits. Above 85c it's starting to get hot. 90c is the point where you might wanna back off on the OC a bit.
Awesome. Thank you so much. How can i mark this question as solved?