Question CPU Light - baffling situation, can anyone advise? Ryzen 5 3600

Jul 1, 2022
Hi all,

After a little advice.
I've built a handful of PCs over the years so not totally cluess.

My PC hadn't been used since moving home. On turning it on it was stuttering and acting a little weird.
It's a Ryzen 5 3600 in a MSI Carbon X370 Pro Gaming.

I'd been meaning to change the motherboard since upgrading the CPU some time back, so figured ok, its not running right, lets do it now.

Picked up an MSI Carbon X570 (try and stay as like for like as I can) and moved everything across.
Straight away - Red CPU Light.

Updated the Bios using the flashback USB port, think that seemed to work as it went on for about 5 mins, then rebooted.

Red CPU Light.

So I take the CPU out, put in back into the old motherboard with nothing but the CPU and power.

Red CPU Light, Red RAM Light.

So, at this point I have to assume I've screwed the CPU by moving it from one motherboard to the other, god knows how.

I RMA the CPU.

New one arrives today - I put it into the old motherboard - Red CPU Light, Red RAM Light.

Put it into the new motherboard - Red CPU Light.

GAHHH

Has anyone got any suggestions/advice !?

Thanks so much.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

There have been a number of Ryzen 5 3600/3600x equipped system's to end up being bad, turned out to be the processor being the issue. You might want to take the processor over to a known working board at your friend's/neighbor's crib and see if you get any sign's of life.

Might want to list the specs to your current build as well as the older build, for us to see what's been changed.

Jul 1, 2022
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

There have been a number of Ryzen 5 3600/3600x equipped system's to end up being bad, turned out to be the processor being the issue. You might want to take the processor over to a known working board at your friend's/neighbor's crib and see if you get any sign's of life.

Might want to list the specs to your current build as well as the older build, for us to see what's been changed.

Not sure you followed my post.

1) it's a brand new CPU (as part of an RMA process so assumption that it's been tested before being sent to me)

2) I've not got to any other parts of the new build, there is no new build. At this point it's just CPU in motherboard.

3) don't have access to any other motherboard other than the 2 I have here.