[SOLVED] CPU light on MOBO not turning on at all ?

Nov 27, 2021
I recently replaced my PSU at the suggestion of someone from my initial post when my PC began acting up and it seems to help everything that was wrong except my CPU. Now the CPU LED won't turn on at all. Here is the original post for reference:

"Hi, my PC has been acting sluggish the past few months and it's only gotten worse. I re-upped my Avast subscription to help clean up the clutter and optimize it. So after that I was having trouble closing the few windows I had up (Chrome tab, Powerpoint, and Notepad) and decided I'd restart it to see if that remedied it. After it shut down I went to power it on and it started then shut off (which has been a regular occurrence since I built it 5 years ago, it will normally boot on the second try) but it just keeps turning off and then immediately back on. I opened it up and noticed that the CPU LED was red for the few brief seconds it was on and have consulted my manual but outside of telling me the LED exists, I can't seem to find out what might be the culprit and how to fix it. I did notice in task manager before I turned it off that the HDD was at 99-100% even though there seemed to be nothing using up any memory. Is there anything I can do here or is it time to upgrade? Sorry, I'm not incredibly PC savvy and only really read enough to pick out my parts and put it together (sorry if that is taboo here). Any help would be appreciated, thanks."

So after running through the suggestions I got, I cleared my bios (or took that little pin cap off of the Mobo for a few seconds and then put it back on) which caused there to be absolutely no response from the motherboard when I turned on the PSU so I was fairly sure that it had to be the PSU but now that I've traded it out my CPU seems shot. Is that really the case? Do I need to get a new CPU or did I just accidentally trip something without knowing?

Motherboard: Asus Z97-A
CPU: Intel Core i5 - 4460
GPU: EVGA Geforce GTX 960
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gold 750W *(new)
RAM: 4GB (x4) GSkill Sniper
HDD: WD Blue 1TB

Solution
Good Morning,
First unplug the power completely and press the on button to remove any traces of power. Touch your fingers to a massive metallic object to discharge your static electricity. Make sure none of the LEDs are on. Always do this before any manipulation, no matter how small. Do not hurry. be very careful,

The Clear CMOS jumper has two possible positions, one is the normal state and another to perform Clear CMOS. Remove it and put it in the Clear Cmos position for a few seconds. Then return it to the normal position. Make sure you don't miss the correct position.

done this,

First make sure that the two power cables from the PSU to the MB are correctly connected. The 24 pin cable and the 4/8 pin cable. Especially the 4/8 pin...
Good Morning,
First unplug the power completely and press the on button to remove any traces of power. Touch your fingers to a massive metallic object to discharge your static electricity. Make sure none of the LEDs are on. Always do this before any manipulation, no matter how small. Do not hurry. be very careful,

The Clear CMOS jumper has two possible positions, one is the normal state and another to perform Clear CMOS. Remove it and put it in the Clear Cmos position for a few seconds. Then return it to the normal position. Make sure you don't miss the correct position.

done this,

First make sure that the two power cables from the PSU to the MB are correctly connected. The 24 pin cable and the 4/8 pin cable. Especially the 4/8 pin cable there is a small risk of wrong placement if you don't pay attention to the positions of the round/square connectors.
Check all sata and power cables and HDMI one.

Connect to electricity without pressing the on button yet.

An MB led "standby power led" should light up. This led only indicates that electricity is reaching the MB!

Then turn on the pc. If one of the LEDs stays on (other stand by power led), it means an error of the specific component. If it's only for a moment, it doesn't matter.

To have more information you can put a 4-pin buzzer/speaker in System panel connector (10-1 pin panel) (page 1-33 of english manual). This buzzer is very cheap. This speaker will give a series of beeps that will help to know the cause.

High HDD load suggests a problem with it, with the SATA cable or the SATA port. Try another cable or another sata port. In any case you can temporarily disconnect it and at least the BIOS screen should appear.

regards.

The problem of the double boot that you have from the beginning can be due to the button battery of the MB being discharged.

Solution
Nov 27, 2021
Thank you for your response, I tried resetting the CMOS again and made sure my 4/8 pin cable was plugged in correctly but neither fixed the problem. All of my onboard LEDs come on when I give the PC power except my CPU LED. I also tried disconnecting the SATA cable for the HDD but that didn't help either :/