Mar 29, 2021
Well here we go.
Updated motherboard and CPU.
Second hand Gigabyte x370 gaming 3 motherboard, Ryzen 7 3700x, crucial Ballistix 3600, radeon hd 6850 (working on this), bp antec 550 power supply.

Know for a fact board, power supply and graphics work.
Not too sure on any incompatibilities, not a normal builder.

Loosened motherboard screws, reset cmos, reseated CPU, reseated CPU fan, Reseated ram and graphics, unplugged useless item to basic setup. No bent pins on CPU, no thermal paste besides where it should be, bare basic on standoffs. Have taken it all out to put back in...

Only things I can think of left... Bios? How do? Ask for help?

CPU light has stayed on this whole time.

Solution
I still don't understand the reasoning, being used or not doesn't matter, it is the current version of the BIOS installed. Someone using a contemporary CPU to a motherboard should have little reason to update the BIOS, since it is working. Though in this case they missed out on a quite a few bug fixes, and a few performance related improvements.

If you wanted the steps to perform a BIOS update, I listed those just in case. If you want specific instructions I can go find them, but you have the motherboard model and their support page is not difficult to get to. Which when pairing CPU and Motherboard is just a good idea to check out anyway. That is where you will be getting all your drivers as well.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Probably needs a BIOS update, the CPU is newer than the board. You will need an older 1000 or 2000 series CPU to accomplish that.

You can try taking it in to a retail computer store and seeing if they will flash the BIOS for you with an older CPU.

I don't believe you qualify for AMDs loaner processors, but something to look into:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Of if you know anyone with a 2000 or 1000 series CPU that you could borrow...

Mar 29, 2021
Probably needs a BIOS update, the CPU is newer than the board. You will need an older 1000 or 2000 series CPU to accomplish that.

You can try taking it in to a retail computer store and seeing if they will flash the BIOS for you with an older CPU.

I don't believe you qualify for AMDs loaner processors, but something to look into:

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-100

Of if you know anyone with a 2000 or 1000 series CPU that you could borrow...

Well, I got it from someone who ran a ryzen 7, 2700 in it... Hence why I had not even thought of it. Is there anything I need to do manually to update it for that?

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I'm not sure what you are asking?

You must update the BIOS using an older CPU. I can't think of anything more manual then swapping out the CPU, downloading a new BIOS file onto a USB stick, and flashing the BIOS, then putting the new CPU back in.

Mar 29, 2021
I'm not sure what you are asking?

You must update the BIOS using an older CPU. I can't think of anything more manual then swapping out the CPU, downloading a new BIOS file onto a USB stick, and flashing the BIOS, then putting the new CPU back in.
It is a used board. I had hoped the BIOS file wouldn't have been a problem. Hence the manual question.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
I still don't understand the reasoning, being used or not doesn't matter, it is the current version of the BIOS installed. Someone using a contemporary CPU to a motherboard should have little reason to update the BIOS, since it is working. Though in this case they missed out on a quite a few bug fixes, and a few performance related improvements.

If you wanted the steps to perform a BIOS update, I listed those just in case. If you want specific instructions I can go find them, but you have the motherboard model and their support page is not difficult to get to. Which when pairing CPU and Motherboard is just a good idea to check out anyway. That is where you will be getting all your drivers as well.

Solution
Mar 29, 2021

I am so use to setting things up toauto update, I was never sure if you had to update BIOS manually. First time running with such an issue.

Thank you, time to try it.