CPU Limit

I noticed in Tom's review of the P4 1.7 the mention of graphics cards limiting the performance of processors in certain situations.

Does this apply at 800 x 600?

If so, does it mean there is a limit to which CPU should be chosen for a system?

I'm using an ATI Rage Fury 32MB vivo on a PII 300 LX.
I plan to transfer it to a BX system with the following.

PIII 850
Asus cubx-e
256MB PC-100

Should I reconsider my CPU/Graphics specs?

<b>
Heatsinks, fans & whisky...Everythings Cool! :wink:
</b>

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
it would depend on what you're running at 800x600. i've never used the card you have but on a 300 mhz proc i would think that the proc would limit rather than the card. after the upgrade, i would think that the p3 could handle most of them and your card would become limiting. as to your specific question of weather or not you should reconsider your specs...it depends on what you use your comp for.

At the core of every system: "I'm sorry dave, i'm afraid i can't do that."

yiliang

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2001
One of my friend has a ATI Rage Fury Pro equiped on his computer(PIII-550, 128MB, 440BX). The GFX card itself isn't bad at all. It sure runs many games smoothly at 800x600x16, and depends on games, it runs nicely in 32bits color as well. However, beyond 800x600x32, it just doesn't fit the job any more. I know u can get 60FPS on Quake3-demo001 at 640*480 w/ high detail, but only arround 30FPS at 800x600 on my friend's computer. I think it's the GFX card which becomes the limit. But if u watch DVD at 1280x1024, it's still cool enough.

G

I had that same card. When I upgraded my processor from a celleron 333 to Athlon 650, I didn't notice a huge difference in games. To be sure, there was a difference, but not nearly as much as when I (later) upgraded the video card to a GeForce2 MX. Since you say you use it mostly for gaming, I'd sacrifice a bit of processor speed for a better video card. Something like a Radeon or GF2 GTS is probably your best bet if you've got the cash. Also, if I were you, I'd try to save a bit of cash and pick up a Duron with PC133. With the faster memory, it'll probably be nearly as fast as the PIII, and a lot cheaper (meaning more money for your video card)

jollygrinch

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i'm an amd supporter so i agree with hammie. but the prices are low on both right now so if you've got a good deal on the p3, go for it. since gaming is your thing though i think you should definitly go for the graphics upgrade too. however you balance the price is up to you. my favorite games are still the several years old ones that my 16mb sdr prophet can get 99 fps on at 1024x768x32. however, i'd still like to be able to get the high numbers on the newer games to impress my friends (alright, screw my friends it's for my ego....)

At the core of every system: "I'm sorry dave, i'm afraid i can't do that."

TRENDING THREADS