[SOLVED] CPU limits to 800 Mhz in 10 seconds while playing games,making games and Windows animations lag.

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016
I have bought a Dell G5 laptop 2 mounths ago,and everything was working fine.A few weeks it happened.After in-game for about 10-15 minutes,games start to lag for about 10 seconds,then run smooth for 2 minutes,then again 10 seconds lag and on and on.Also,if I minimize the game during those 10 seconds,I can also see that Windows animations(such as the menu pop-up when pressing the Windows key or opening folder) and opening time lag,and after 10 seconds both the game and the animations and opening times go normal until it happens again.

After installing MSI Afterburner,I concluded that CPU goes to even 98-100 celsius degrees,and the GPU reaches 91 celsius degrees,and yet CPU usage is low.For example,in CSGO,CPU temperature is 98-100 while usage is around 36 %(but frequency is also high).

So what could this be.This is a new laptop and I don't think the coolers might be dusty just yet.I find very strange the Windows animations lagging during those 10 seconds and low CPU usage,yet high frequency.Might this be hardware?Could be only a virus/malware/bad registry or system?What can I do.I am at the verge of despair with this problem.

Note:During time,I had done around 10-12 times registry cleans,alltough I found it is not neccesary and could be even harmfull for the OS.I've also encountered some malware problems because of my cousin,but removed all of them(at least that's what I think).

Another note:When setting CPU to 99% maximum cpu usage in Power Options,this problem dissapears at the exchange of performance,of course,so it might not be a solution(alltough usage is around 36 % when this happens,witch makes it even more weird).

My specs:

Intel Core i7 8750h (6 cores,12 threads)
16 GB of RAM
Nvidia GTX 1060 6 GB VRAM
256 GB SSD(I keep Windows files and programs on it) + 1 TB HDD 5400 rpm (I keep games and downloaded stuff on it)
Windows 10

Also,forgot to mention that when idle,temperature is 42-45 celsius degree,just like the day I bought the laptop,so when idle temperature is normal.

Solution
The problem was kinda solved.Yes,the laptop still goes to 90-100 C,but when this happens CPU throttles in a much lesser way than it did(for ex,it only goes from 60 fps to 50-45,witch is playable).The problem was that,after I updated my drivers with Driver Booster,Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver was also updated,but it was probablly updated from a 3rd party website or something.So I went to Dell's website,manually installed the official driver(so I rolled to a previous driver version) and voila.Still goes to 50-45 fps,but it's better than 10-15 fps(including Windows lag).Now only the game goes to 50-45 and,actually,it usually goes to 55 fps and that Windows animations lag completely dissapeared.I'm thinking...

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016

Unfortunately,no.This laptop came with Ubuntu pre-installed on it,so installed Windows 10 over it,witch removed the waranty.So,my laptop has no waranty.Shouldn't still might be a way to solve this?What do you think it might be?

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016

Went in bios,but my bios doesn't have any fan settings,so this can't be done from there.Do you think Windows reinstall might be of some use(thinking that during the 10 seconds throttling,as I said,Windows is also affected)
Also,don't know if it is important,but I forgot to mention that when idle,CPU temperature is normal(42-45 Celsius degree)

Quantum007

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2016
The problem was kinda solved.Yes,the laptop still goes to 90-100 C,but when this happens CPU throttles in a much lesser way than it did(for ex,it only goes from 60 fps to 50-45,witch is playable).The problem was that,after I updated my drivers with Driver Booster,Intel Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework driver was also updated,but it was probablly updated from a 3rd party website or something.So I went to Dell's website,manually installed the official driver(so I rolled to a previous driver version) and voila.Still goes to 50-45 fps,but it's better than 10-15 fps(including Windows lag).Now only the game goes to 50-45 and,actually,it usually goes to 55 fps and that Windows animations lag completely dissapeared.I'm thinking that,remembering I updated my drivers with Driver Booster 3 more times,overheating might,after all,come from 3rd party drivers,since this laptop is still new.So,conclusion guys:NEVER EVER UPDATE DRIVERS WITH 3RD PARTY PROGRAMS LIKE DRIVER BOOSTER OR ANYTHING LIKE THAT.LET WINDOWS DO THE JOB OR UPDATE DRIVERS YOURSELF PERIOD.

Solution