CPU Load and Fan Speed Fluctuating Heavily

amecily

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Hi there,

For the past few months, my CPU load has been rapidly increasing and decreasing (between 15% and 100% for all four cores), along with the fan speeding up and slowing down for no good reason - while the computer is idle. The fan will go from 1000RPM up to 10 000RPM. I turned off all my startup programs, but the problem persists. I have recently updated all my drivers and my BIOS (I did this to try and amend the problem).

Here are my computer specs:

Operating System
MS Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit
CPU
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9505 @ 2.83GHz
Yorkfield 45nm Technology
RAM
4.0GB Dual-Channel DDR2
Motherboard
ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5QPL-AM
Graphics
AMD Radeon HD 6870

What could the reason be for this?

Thanks,
Amy

The fan speed increase's when the CPU gets hotter.So whenever the CPU is maxed out at 100% usage it gets hotter.

Usually random spikes in CPU usage are associated with a virus.Try running a anti-virus software to see if it can clean it up.If the problem persists I suggest a fresh install of Windows.

Another way to see if it's a process/application/software causing it is to boot into safe mode.If the problem goes away then you know it's a process or application.

amecily

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks for the replies. I ran a virus scan with AVG full edition, and there were no threats detected. Then I rebooted in Safe Mode, but even while my computer was rebooting, it was very loud, so the fan was obviously running fast then, without Windows running. So this means that it's not a process? How would I check for a failing hard drive?

amecily

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
Thanks, I've run run Crystal Disk Info, and both hard drive have Good health statuses. Is there anything in particular I must tell you from this report?
It could be dust - my friend added new thermal paste about 5 months ago, how often should it be applied?

Not too often, thermal paste needs to be applied only if it's gotten too old and you feel temps are staying high even under normal states.
Did the sudden fluctuations start after the new thermal paste was applied? or did they just start recently?
You need to blow the dust and dirt out of the case ASAP, use a compressed air can if you can get your hands on one.