CPU load Stuck on 100% load!

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Recently my computer is always at 100% even when no apps are running. But as soon as i run Task manager load reduces. This doesnt happen in safe mode. Im sure that this is a virus. When i scan my computer with Avira Antivirus (Free) it doesnt detect anything :(. What do i do?

Solution

As for the virus (suspected) moving to a non-OS partition, it is extremely possible. There are such viruses out there that have been known to infect a pre-boot environment outside of Windows (although they are rare).

As for backing up your save files, I would...

Bejusek

Distinguished
You can list processes cpu usage from commandline:
http://www.techish.net/windows/get-process-cpu-usage-using-wmi/

Any processes with CPU time over 50%
wmic path win32_perfformatteddata_perfproc_process where (PercentProcessorTime ^> 50) get Name, Caption, PercentProcessorTime, IDProcess /format:list

You can use this to pinpoint the source of the problem and get an id of suspected process.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
Im scanning my system now with malawarebytes. but if it doesnt work ill have to reinstall window. I have partioned my current disk into 3 parts - games, video and pictures and OS.

Is there anyway that i can reinstall windows without harming the other partions (Games and Video and Pictures)?

If yes how? i am backing up my videos and pictures now. but if i format my games drive then all my save files and all will be wiped...

JeauxBleaux

Honorable
Dec 27, 2012
I've gotta wonder if all you are seeing is the initial spike of CPU activity when taskmgr opens. It'll show 100% activity for a second before settling down, this is normal. You say the problem goes away when you open taskmgr? Hmmmm...

Installing Windows on your C:\ partition will have no effect on your other partitions.

Any programs or games installed on those partitions however *may* have to be reinstalled to restore their registry entries. Try each one out first; those that don't launch, simply reinstall over themselves in the same folders. This will keep all customizations, saved files etc.

timarp000

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2011
ahh malawarebytes found 4 objects but it still hasnt solved the problem...
Ill try Spybot search and destroy but im losing hope.

OK so can can you guys tell me how to reinstall windows without disturbing other partitions? and is there any way that the virus can be on the non-windows partition.
Is there anyway to backup my save file in case it gets wiped? I have backed up my mivies, videos etc and my games. but i have alot of games so i dont want to reinstall it.

As for the virus (suspected) moving to a non-OS partition, it is extremely possible. There are such viruses out there that have been known to infect a pre-boot environment outside of Windows (although they are rare).

As for backing up your save files, I would recommend consulting the game manufacturer's site as there are ways because I've had luck with doing so in the past with games like Need for Speed: Most Wanted. All I had to do there was go into My Documents folder and then the Saved Games folder and I simply created a backup of it.

As for not disturbing your other partitions, I would recommend going into Disk Management and see how they are actually sectioned and then be sure to only format (don't delete and recreate) the C: partition when you are reinstalling Windows (if you decide to).

Solution