[SOLVED] Cpu maxing out

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
My current cpu is maxing out with every single game I play, the primary one being the new Call of Duty, which the recommended cpu is an i5-2500k, and I have an i5 9600k overclocked at 4.3ghz and it's maxing out at a constant 100% causing stutters even on the lowest graphics settings. Any suggestions on what the problem may be? Temps seem to be fine, under load at a max of 65. I've started to think it's a bottleneck problem.

Specs:

Gpu: Amd radeon 5600xt
Cpu: i5 9600k @4.3ghz
16gbs ddr4 2x8
if the others are needed will list them

Solution
Ram should have a lifetime warranty - unless that's a G. Skill only thing...
Take advantage of that.

If you'd rather not wait, you're welcome to purchase another kit.
Reducing game settings will just make things worse. If this is COD Cold War or MW these can use 12 threads, maxing out a 6 thread cpu when running low settings is to be expected. Try turning up game settings and using an FPS limiter at about 10 FPS lower than your average.

Reactions: Nemesia

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
Reducing game settings will just make things worse. If this is COD Cold War or MW these can use 12 threads, maxing out a 6 thread cpu when running low settings is to be expected. Try turning up game settings and using an FPS limiter at about 10 FPS lower than your average.
Why would it max out every other game though?

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
CS GO and Overwatch are not very gpu demanding so you are more likely to be cpu limited than gpu especially if you turn settings down. I don’t know about Valorant. What FPS are you getting in these games?
In Cold war, I've averaged around 100, very low settings, with stutters and 100 cpu. Valorant I max out at 144, but it uses like 90% of my cpu, cs go is around 250, but also uses roughly 85%, and overwatch at 120, cpu at 100.

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
Try running userbenchmark and sharing the public link to the results.

The FPS look a little low and I wouldn’t expect stuttering but high cpu usage is expected.
UserBenchmarks: Game 86%, Desk 93%, Work 73%
CPU: Intel Core i5-9600K - 94%
GPU: AMD RX 5600-XT - 89.1%
SSD: Crucial P1 3D NVMe PCIe M.2 500GB - 116%
HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB (2018) - 96.7%
RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 C16 2x8GB - 71.7%
MBD: MSI Z390-A PRO (MS-7B98)

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
Try giving your ram a little more voltage.
Instead of the XMP profile's default 1.35v in Channels A and B, try manually entering 1.36v in both channels instead - in bios, of course.
When i increase the ran's voltage, which is at default 1.200v, it says the overclocking has failed and it sends me back to bios.

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
You have the sticks in the correct slots? Usually slots 2 and 4, unless otherwise stated in the mobo manual.

If you had to change the above and it still doesn't work, then try 1.40v Dram voltage.
They're in the correct slots, and changing the dram voltage to 1.4 just sent me to a blue screen. I've done some research, would changing the "timings" do anything to help this?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
I've done some research, would changing the "timings" do anything to help this?
Yes, it could.
Are you familiar with the 4 primary timings? They're also printed on the sticker on your ram, if you're not.
Increase each of the 4 values by 1, save and exit.

If it doesn't work, try 2.

Another setting that may help is the Command Rate: 1T, 2T, and 3T.
Save this for later - if you adjust too many things at once, it could be problematic.

shandork

Prominent
May 29, 2020
Yes, it could.
Are you familiar with the 4 primary timings? They're also printed on the sticker on your ram, if you're not.
Increase each of the 4 values by 1, save and exit.

If it doesn't work, try 2.

Another setting that may help is the Command Rate: 1T, 2T, and 3T.
Save this for later - if you adjust too many things at once, it could be problematic.
Sorry for the such late response, but I just tried changing the timings, and it gave me a black screen after boot saying the OC has failed, as well as changing the voltage didn't allow me to turn on xmp.

TRENDING THREADS