[SOLVED] CPU may not be using full potential please help

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
I have a Ryzen 5 3500 which has a turbo clock of 4.1GHz but it has never even boosted to 4GHz even in singlethreaded tasks it doesnt go above 3.92GHz and there is no thermal throttling as the temps are not above 71 while doing the task also I tried to set precision boost overdrive of 200MHz at 10X scalar, but to no avail

Solution
Also set up BIOS by ENABLING: cool n quiet, advanced c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores. Also make sure both CPU clock and VCore voltage is in AUTO. You can also undervolt slightly (test that you're not hurting performance with cinebench 20) but use only negative offset, no fixed voltages.

Last, use the following settings for PBO: PPT 330, both EDC and TDC at 230.
Also set up BIOS by ENABLING: cool n quiet, advanced c states, processor cppc and cppc preferred cores. Also make sure both CPU clock and VCore voltage is in AUTO. You can also undervolt slightly (test that you're not hurting performance with cinebench 20) but use only negative offset, no fixed voltages.

Last, use the following settings for PBO: PPT 330, both EDC and TDC at 230.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution
But the thing is, it is supposed to go 4.1GHz
Set up as I wrote above it will.

Just keep in mind it only boosts to max clocks on a single core at a time in light, bursty loads. It does it very briefly too...use HWInfo64 and set a polling period of 500mS. Then set up graphs of the core clocks and watch them as you do things in Windows. One thing I do is a Defender quick scan and it makes my preferred cores boost to max clock repeatedly.

But in the end it's not the max clocks that do the work in heavy loads, it's the mid-range clocks. Measure performance with Cinebench 20 BM results, not by watching clocks because it's boosting makes it too dynamic to make sense of.

HOLDMYPC

Reputable
Aug 1, 2020
And that's why I said to update bios and chipset drivers. Other users complained about not reaching advertised boost clocks before - the response was releasing bios and chipset updates.
Also, follow drea.drechsler's advice; they're more familiar with Ryzen than I am.
BIOS is at the latest version and please tell me how to update chipset drivvers???