CPU memory support vs Motherboard memory support.

rishi_21

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
The Intel datasheets for processors (e.g.) have a Memory Types field that show what kind of memory is supported by a particular CPU.

If I buy a CPU that supports only DDR3-1600, and I put that on a compatible higher end motherboard that allows a high frequency memory support, will the CPU handle it?

E.g. CPU supports DDR3-1600, motherboard supports DDR3-2400, can I use DDR3-2400 RAM on this particular system and will the CPU be able to handle it?

Ryan Reynolds

Reputable
Feb 20, 2014
Absolutely! the mobo will automatically most likely set the speed to 1333 for all ddr3 ram you have to set it yourself usually and yes if a mobo supports that 2400 mhz ram then yes you can use it and most likely the cpu isnt designed to support it but it should still work

rakesh_57

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017

Are you sure? Can someone else confirm this? I have the same question

rishi_21

Prominent
Jun 18, 2017
I asked the Intel Support and they said, the motherboard might support it, but the memory controller on the CPU will not be able to take full advantage of the high speed memory. And that the memory controller might fail if used continuously like that.

So, I don't think there is any point using high speed memory if the CPU specifications do not support it.

TRENDING THREADS