[SOLVED] cpu & memory upgrade

Aug 13, 2019
i have an old toshiba l510 b400, running on pentium t4400. so i decided to upgrade the hardware because i want to run win10 (now running win 7 ultimate sp1). first upgrade is the CPU. my laptop use socket P. and its use gl40 chipset. FSB of GL40 is 800 mt/s. but some websites says this toshiba have 1066 mt/s FSB, and i want to uprade the processor to core 2 duo/extreme, if my laptop can support core 2 quad/quad extreme, i decided to use the quad extreme. so can anyone find me the best processor for my laptop?

Solution
In what way is your laptop not doing the job?
Why do you want windows 10?
Is windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?
The device may not have drivers for windows 10.

You will probably be successful in upgrading ram. If that is worth it, go ahead.
For general use, upgrading to a SSD is a very good thing to do.

But many other things are not likely to be worth fixing on a 10 year old laptop.

Speaker sound is limited because the laptop speakers are puny.
Gaming is never going to be good with integrated graphics.
Even if you succeeded with some sort of usb connected graphics, your processor and any possible upgrades would still give you only minimal gaming.

Wireless seems to be less than satisfactory.

All in all, you are better to buy something...
Aug 13, 2019
my toshiba l510 b400 now installed with 1 gb of memory, i want to upgrade it to maximum capacity. internet says my laptop can upgraded to 4gb of ram, but wikipedia says gl40 can handle up to 8gb, my laptop is using gl40 chipset, and now i'm using ddr3 1066/pc3-8500s. can anyone explain to me the max. memory can i install on my laptop?, and the memory type supported by GL40?

note: i have 2 slots of memory

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
The CPU may well support 8GB, but likely over 4 banks (4x2GB).
That laptop supports a maximum of 4GB (2x2GB).
You could certainly try 2x4GB if you wanted to test, it might work, but probably not worth the effort.

On the CPU front, if it can be upgraded, it'll be limited to whatever CPUs the laptop could've shipped with. The BIOS likely won't support anything stronger - nor would the cooling solution.

Aug 13, 2019
The CPU may well support 8GB, but likely over 4 banks (4x2GB).
That laptop supports a maximum of 4GB (2x2GB).
You could certainly try 2x4GB if you wanted to test, it might work, but probably not worth the effort.

On the CPU front, if it can be upgraded, it'll be limited to whatever CPUs the laptop could've shipped with. The BIOS likely won't support anything stronger - nor would the cooling solution.
my bios is insyde h2o ver 1.5 rev3.5

Aug 13, 2019
my toshiba L510-B400 equipped with intel GMA 4500M with 285mb memory shared graphics card, and it's very weak, so i decided to put an external graphics card or replace it. if i can't replace it, is there any chance to put an external graphics card on my laptop?

Aug 13, 2019
now for the last thing.....
my internal speaker is so weak, but when external speaker plugged, its more than better. so can anyone find any solution except use an external speaker?

i'm using 2xUSB 2.0, but its only detected one, and another is detected as USB 1.0, how i can solve this problem?

and the wireless card, i have RTL8187B USB 2.0 network adapter full size card, i want to replace it with some of these wireless card:
  1. intel centrino wireless n-6235 dual band
  2. intel wireless-N 7260
  3. intel dual band wireless-AC 7260
  4. intel dual band wireles-N 7260

i use the bracket adapter for the new cards because all the new card is half size. and if i use the half card, the antenna is able to reach it. so any chance if i replace it with some of that cards? (i want to use both wifi and bluetooth on my laptop)

In what way is your laptop not doing the job?
Why do you want windows 10?
Is windows 7 32 bit or 64 bit?
The device may not have drivers for windows 10.

You will probably be successful in upgrading ram. If that is worth it, go ahead.
For general use, upgrading to a SSD is a very good thing to do.

But many other things are not likely to be worth fixing on a 10 year old laptop.

Speaker sound is limited because the laptop speakers are puny.
Gaming is never going to be good with integrated graphics.
Even if you succeeded with some sort of usb connected graphics, your processor and any possible upgrades would still give you only minimal gaming.

Wireless seems to be less than satisfactory.

All in all, you are better to buy something else. If you do not need portability, a desktop will be faster and cheaper.

Solution