CPU & MOBO change

qEzt

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
Hello there, I've got a couple of questions because I'm not really tech master. I recently upgraded my MOBO and CPU AMD -> i7-7700k + z270 carbon pro
I've heard that it is necessary to reinstall windows. But I'm wondering, do the files in general ,for example games, stay the same? Will I be able to play without reinstalling? And also, I will not have internet connection for couple of months, is that a problem? Is there anything I need to do through internet?
Thanks for any advices and information, Mark

carlbyronthompson

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
What version of windows? You should just have to load the new divers for the board in accordance to the os vers. Watch out on win 10 tho. It doesn't like hardware changes and might lock you down. Make sure your set up a windows account before the mb change.

carlbyronthompson

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
You can do as you see fit as a clean install is ALWAYS the best but if you are worried about it then just install the new drivers and see how it goes before you reinstall the os. And as far as 10 goes? Google the horror stories. Better yet,a mb and proc. change with no windows account. Win. 7 is far less troublesome.

W10 is working just fine, I have it since day one without any horrors and with simple MS account you can change MBs and still keep your license while with W7 you need to have Retail version for that. W7 on the other hand may be trouble to install on newer systems and HW. Had to go thru loops just to manage to install it on Ryzen despite Asus having Chipset drivers.
Still, when jumping from platform to platform it's best to do clean install.

Well, it's easier with MS account because licenses are handled different way in W10 but that also makes it easier to switch MBs that is the only part license is tied to. You don't have to use that account for any thing else although Hotmail is one of best and most used and most secure e-mail clients.

Windows 7 is near EOL though.

And good luck getting Windows 7 to work with a MB change, it can be lets say very bad.

Windows 10 is MUCH more tolerant to major changes.

carlbyronthompson

Reputable
Apr 18, 2015
You can always find the license on windows oem install, even if the sticker is gone or missing. I've never had an issue with 7 but have with 10 but to each their own preference. I gave a gen. guide to the guy as he never even said what version he had. And I am aware of the fact that 10 is better for today's setups but he also never said what he put in. Until he provides a full spec. set, everything has to be generalized.

qEzt

Reputable
Jul 18, 2015
I've got MSI's 1060 6gb, MSI frozr L cooler, HyperX 8gb ram 3200mhz, SSD with old system and couple of games on it and normal 2tb HDD, Corsair 550W PSU.