CPU, Mobo etc. Upgrade (Budget ~ $1000)

t2r4ne

Honorable
Feb 28, 2013
Hi Guys,

Its almost the end of the year again and I wanted to do one last final upgrade for my system before not touching it for a few years.

I'm actually not sure if i seriously do need an upgrade at all because I have a pretty high-end system already (I know a lot of people would think I'm insane for wanting to upgrade). But I am leaving the states in about 2 weeks time, and would love to buy the latest parts for my mobo/CPU (& other parts too if its needed; would really appreciate suggestions!) before I leave. I probably would not be able to upgrade anything for a few years.

Since the new consoles are out, I want to be sitting happy on my machine (maxed out settings in all the games that would come out in the near future) without needing an upgrade again till 2015-2016.

I wanted to upgrade my CPU/mobo for CPU intensive games so that i can get maximum FPS. I was thinking about the new haswell, which would mean a new mobo. And this new socket gives me a chance to upgrade to broadwell in the future if i want to.

These are my current system specs:
CPU: Intel Core i7-3770K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14 CPU Cooler
Motherboard: MSI Z77 MPOWER ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Value 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX Titan 6GB Video Card
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" Solid State Disk
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD 24-bit 96 KHz Sound Card
Case: Cooler Master Storm Scout 2 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic Platinum 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply
Optical Drive: LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer

Case: CM Storm Scout 2 Advanced Gaming Mid Tower Computer Case
Monitor: 27 inch Yamakasi Catleap 2B edition

Thanks!

P.S: This is purely a gaming machine/surfing around/watching movies..etc

Solution
The difference between this and the 4770K is that Ivy has lower power consumption and you won't need to upgrade which means more money for you. You won't need a extreme edition CPU for games so there isn't any point in venturing in that area. Haswell performs 7% better in multi-threaded applications and is 2% in memory intensive tasks so that's the only up-gain.
You could invest in a H100i from Corsair if you really want to make your build look cleaner (by the amount of money put in you might as well). This also means that you'll run cooler.
Everything else is perfect for gaming/surfing/movies.

Source: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/590/Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html

Xondat

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
The difference between this and the 4770K is that Ivy has lower power consumption and you won't need to upgrade which means more money for you. You won't need a extreme edition CPU for games so there isn't any point in venturing in that area. Haswell performs 7% better in multi-threaded applications and is 2% in memory intensive tasks so that's the only up-gain.
You could invest in a H100i from Corsair if you really want to make your build look cleaner (by the amount of money put in you might as well). This also means that you'll run cooler.
Everything else is perfect for gaming/surfing/movies.

Source: http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/590/Intel_Core_i7_i7-3770K_vs_Intel_Core_i7_i7-4770K.html

Solution

rvilkman

Distinguished
You really don't need to upgrade. The titans should be able to handle everything you throw at it and the CPU doesn't get enough of an improvement to upgrade.
You will basically lose overclockability by going to 4770k. In theory you 'could' go to LGA2011 and a hex core CPU but even that would be such a waste.