Question CPU/MOBO Issue

Feb 27, 2020
Hello all.

Just got all my new PC parts in and was in the process of building my new PC when I ran into an issue where the CPU will not fit into the MOBO socket. I used PCPartPicker to check compatibility before purchasing everything and it all checked out so now I'm a bit confused.

CPU: i7-8700k
MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E

Both use the LGA1151 socket type, yet I cannot for the life of me get the CPU to fit into the MOBO socket. I started with trying to fit into the slow by lining up the triangles, then rotated it every direction thereafter and it simply doesn't line up.

Can anyone help?

Feb 27, 2020
I'll upload some pictures in a minute. The CPU was purchased through Best Buy and the MOBO through Amazon Prime.

Not sure how I'm supposed to add pictures as it wants an http link?

Last edited:
Feb 27, 2020

I have noticed that the CPU in this video has the notches in a different place than the one I received. The notches on the 8700k in the video are at the top left/right of the cpu opposite the arrow (triangle) at the bottom left corner, whereas the notches on my 8700k CPU are to the upper left and bottom left of the CPU (while the triangle is also at the bottom left.

It would seem that Best Buy is selling incorrect CPU's?

D

Deleted member 1560910

Could be but maybe not with there knowledge. Years back i built a system with a 4790k. The CPU was labeled 4790k right out of the box brand new factory sealed yet it was a Pentium dual core strangest thing i have ever seen in my life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 27, 2020
Could be but maybe not with there knowledge. Years back i built a system with a 4790k. The CPU was labeled 4790k right out of the box brand new factory sealed yet it was a Pentium dual core strangest thing i have ever seen in my life.

Yeah I have a Best Buy near me, I'm going to take it in tomorrow and ask for a replacement. Every video I've seen of the i7-8700K has the notches in a difference place than the one I have, even though it's labeled as such.

D

Deleted member 1560910

Yeah I have a Best Buy near me, I'm going to take it in tomorrow and ask for a replacement. Every video I've seen of the i7-8700K has the notches in a difference place than the one I have, even though it's labeled as such.
Did it work when you installed cpu ?

Feb 27, 2020
It doesn't fit. No matter what direction I try to insert the CPU, it doesn't seat down into the socket. The notches on the board itself are where they should be, but not the CPU so I don't think it will ever fit.

D

Deleted member 1560910

It doesn't fit. No matter what direction I try to insert the CPU, it doesn't seat down into the socket. The notches on the board itself are where they should be, but not the CPU so I don't think it will ever fit.
Do you have another board you can try ?

D

Deleted member 1560910

Someone probably purchased a legit CPU from BestBuy, returned an old relabeled socket 1155/1156 CPU for a cash refund, then sold the real CPU on E-Bay, etc...

Take it back to BEstBuy ASAP...
I tend to agree with you best buy employees dont pay attention and dont care or know but i think if it was returned there not aloud to re sell it at least in the United States you cant