CPU + Mobo + Ram setup for Far Cry

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Hello,

I'm trying to stay under $200 for this combo if possible. I need to upgrade my current setup. I don't need any other parts except for CPU, Mobo, and Ram. I don't plan to OC unless necessary.

I don't play a lot of games, but I definitely want my new setup to be able to handle FarCry 2 and whatever the last Hitman game was (I think 4) without any problems. Maybe that's not a big deal in the gaming world though. lol

Other than that, I just do a lot of FB'ing and Excel spreadsheets. Right now at Newegg I'm eyeing the following and would appreciate your thoughts:

- ECS A780GM-M3 AM2+/AM3 AMD 780G Micro ATX AMD Motherboard for $65.

- AMD Athlon II X3 425 Rana 2.7GHz;

- WINTEC AMPX 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400).

I am running Win XP Pro currently. I do prefer the mobo's that have 4 memory slots in case I buy more later but not a biggie. I do prefer the Asus and Gigabyte boards but I have used MSI and ECS before so please share your thoughts. Also, I do tend to like the boards that have NVidia onboard.

Thanks,
Bernie

Solution
Just making sure it didn't need a lot of power. Keep in mind that the GPU is the main determination of what games you can play at how well the computer will play them. So odds are that performance won't be good despite the upgrades...

This is the closest I could get: Corsair 400W $40 after rebate.

Brings the total to $247 total, $222.30 after 10% off, and $202.30 after rebates.

EDIT: Don't forget Bing's cashback for Newegg. I believe it's 2% right now...

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Does an triple core sound ok for this or would I save some money and speed by staying with a dual core setup for what I want it to do (since I'm not a heavy gamer) Thanks for the quick response.

Triple cores are actually the best CPUs for gaming. Besides, the X3 425 is one of the cheapest AM3 CPUs available. I don't recommend dropping down to a dual core. IMO, dual cores shouldn't be used except in the very, very low budget builds (like $400 for the entire thing).

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Ok, now I just realized I need to throw a screwball in this. My current power supply will not work. If I now need a CPU+Mobo+Ram+PSU, can I stay under $200 with this or another setup? If it helps I currently have a 10% off coupon from Newegg. LOL. Thanks MadAdmiral for your quick responses.

Just making sure it didn't need a lot of power. Keep in mind that the GPU is the main determination of what games you can play at how well the computer will play them. So odds are that performance won't be good despite the upgrades...

This is the closest I could get: Corsair 400W $40 after rebate.

Brings the total to $247 total, $222.30 after 10% off, and $202.30 after rebates.

EDIT: Don't forget Bing's cashback for Newegg. I believe it's 2% right now...

Solution
It's a POS. You really don't want to skimp on PSU quality. I recommend sticky to units from Antec (not the Basiq line), Corsair, FSP, SeaSonic, Silverstone and PC Power & Cooling. There are a few exceptions to this list, but Coolermaster is not one of them.

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Also, I have a 'dumb' question. What if I went with a better mobo that has integrated NVidia or ATI graphics. Does that not help for FarCry2 or do I need to stay away from that and plan on using my current GeForce 6800?

Integrated graphics aren't any good for gaming. Typically, they are only used for general use computing or media playing. However, the GPU you're using is so old, I can't find benchmarks for it. Odds are that you will need to replace the GPU anyway, at which point having onboard graphics is pointless.

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Ok, ok. Good to know. With that said, what is the lowest GPU you would recommend me getting. Really I don't want to play more than Far Cry 2 but that's no biggie. My current system is an old shuttle P4. Should I just upgrade the GPU in that. I've seen some 512mb ATi 1650 cards that are still AGP 8x. I just hate it when I'm in facebook online poker and the game sticks/delays sometimes.
PS - the Nvidia 6800 is not currently in the P4 system.

What's the monitor's resolution? Check out the charts section. Far Cry 2 is one of the benchmarks. Typically, anything over 30 FPS is playable.

For 1600x, an HD 4850 or 9800 GT would be good enough. For 1900x, you'd need something above the 8800 Ultra.

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Let me pose another question. Is there any better quality RAM you would recommend that might cost just a little bit more. Since I am now over $200, if it were only $10 more to get a better quality DDR3 ram, I'd rather do that. Just curious. Thanks!

Tridec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Just out of curiosity, but is your 6800 AGP or PCI-e? The 6800 series had both PCI-e and AGP variants. If it's AGP then you won't be able to upgrade until you can buy a new GPU.

brwoodruff

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2010
Thanks to MadAdmiral and everyone else that weighed in. Much appreciated. I will go ahead and place my order at Newegg for:

-CPU/Mobo: X3 425 and Gigabyte GA-770T-UD3P
-RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2GB 2x1 GB DDR3 1333
-Corsair 400W