CPU, Mobo, & RAM Upgrade

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Hello folks. Finances may allow me to upgrade (and not feel bad about it). I currently have;

- Core i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz
- Asus P8P67 EVO mobo
- 16 GB of Corsair Vengence RAM @ 1600 MHz

I am thinking of:

- ASRock Z370 Pro4
- Core i5 8400
- G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 > 16 GB @ 3000 Mhz (2 x 8 GB) ($235 +tax here in Canada!)

Should I maybe hold off until Zen 2? I've always used Asus for mobos; any thoughts on ASRock? I also wonder if RAM may drop a bit around ZEN 2 release... prices are ridiculous !!!!

Thanks!

Solution
I agree with everyone, buy an SSD if you don't have one already, fresh install of Windows, and keep rolling with what you've got for now. RAM and GPU prices are stupid high right now and with upcoming tech in the somewhat near future it may not be a good time to upgrade anyway.

WildCard999

Titan
Are you having performance issues currently? While that CPU is older I would think at 4.4ghz it would perform quite well, at least long enough for you to save up a bit more for a unlocked CPU such as the 8600K or until the budget boards are released (Q1 2018).

mcconkeymike

Distinguished
I agree with everyone, buy an SSD if you don't have one already, fresh install of Windows, and keep rolling with what you've got for now. RAM and GPU prices are stupid high right now and with upcoming tech in the somewhat near future it may not be a good time to upgrade anyway.

Solution

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009
Lol @ vapour... yeah prices are crap (RAM and GPUs). Performance is acceptable at the moment (I'm using a GTX 1070). I also do have a 500 GB Samsung EVO 850 with the OS and my games on it. It's just that I will finally have some spare cash.

Maybe I should hold off until the Fall and see how hardware performance and prices are doing.

Marnad

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2009

Thanks everyone

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts