[SOLVED] CPU/Motherboard Bottleneck

Dec 25, 2020
Merry Christmas all...

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cKCBLP

I upgraded my GPU to a GTX 1080 TI 11 GB XTREME in 2018. Knew then that the bottleneck would likely be CPU and Motherboard. Finally feel like throwing some more money at my PC and trying to understand the bottleneck better, and how to improve. My basic understanding is a jump in CPU will require a motherboard upgrade. When I input a i9 processor on PC Parts Picker, it flags a conflict with voltage usage. Specifically "The G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 32 GB (4 x 8 GB) DDR3-1600 CL10 Memory operating voltage of 1.5 V exceeds the Intel Comet Lake CPU recommended maximum of 1.35 V+5% (1.417 V). This memory module may run at a reduced clock rate to meet the 1.35 V voltage recommendation, or may require running at a voltage greater than the Intel recommended maximum. "

Rather than try to dissect this message on my own, I turned here for a translation and more importantly, a solution.

I do understand a 3080 (or 3090) would be helpful for a performance bump in gaming/etc. but with a bottleneck, seems pointless to start there.

Any thoughts would be helpful. I appreciate any suggestions or feedback.

Solution
Current motherboard is Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 with Intel Core i5-4690k 3.6Ghz.

Initial thought was to upgrade to an Intel i9 10700k. Only because it shows up on a few lists as a good unit currently. As for motherboard, I did not have a preference.
Well, you'd need new DDR4 RAM as well as the motherboard.
Your current DDR3 won't work.
Dec 25, 2020
Current motherboard is Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 with Intel Core i5-4690k 3.6Ghz.

Initial thought was to upgrade to an Intel i9 10700k. Only because it shows up on a few lists as a good unit currently. As for motherboard, I did not have a preference.

TRENDING THREADS