[SOLVED] Cpu/motherboard compatibility query

Nov 18, 2018
Hi,

I am currently looking to build my own computer with very limited information. I'm in the process of educating myself on various websites including yours (thanks for all the super helpful info).

I would like to try and salvage the cpu from my current laptop but I am not sure if it will be possible.I have chosen the motherboard in terms of chipset and it is supposed to be able to support an i5 processor, howerver I cant tell for sure if it is compatible.

I would like to know if these are compatible

Here is my laptop cpu:

Intel® Core™ i5-2410M Processor

https://ark.intel.com/products/52224/Intel-Core-i5-2410M-Processor-3M-Cache-up-to-2-90-GHz-

And here is the motherboard: GIGABYTE B360M DS3H

I am not necessarily fixed on the motherboard choice so if I need to change motherboard then so be it, the main focus is to re-use the cpu if possible. It is quite old though and I am trying to make a gaming computer so I may have to bite the bullet

Any help would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance

Anthony Hendrick

Solution
The CPU that you have in the laptop will not fit on any current gen motherboards including B360 H370 Z370 etc...In fact the CPU will not really fit any motherboards unless you can find a Sandybridge G2 socket: Socket G2 / Socket rPGA988B

Not sure if there are any motherboards available now ..
The CPU that you have in the laptop will not fit on any current gen motherboards including B360 H370 Z370 etc...In fact the CPU will not really fit any motherboards unless you can find a Sandybridge G2 socket: Socket G2 / Socket rPGA988B

Not sure if there are any motherboards available now ..

Solution
Nov 18, 2018

Hi,

Apologies for the late response. Thanks very much for your help, I totally would have tried to make it work and cried like a little girl when it didnt work.

In the end I got an ASUS B450M TUF motherboard and a ryzen5 2600. Both AMD so shouldnt have any problems.

Thanks again

Regards

Anthony