[SOLVED] Cpu/motherboard help

Jason_b

Commendable
Jul 8, 2017
What happens if a cpu (say a ryzen 5 3600) gets connected to a motherboard (gigabyte GA-AB350 that does not have the latest updates for 3rd gen ryzen products). What kind of problems would occur. But to clarify the Mobo does have updates for it, just wondering what effects on a PC it could have.

Solution
Ok, so if you have NOT done the updates yet, then yes, that is likely 100% of your problem. You have to do the updates or nothing is going to work right with a Zen2 CPU installed. Things will start up and run, but they won't "work". So, no display, full speed fans (safety protocol for thermal protection), no POST, etc.
It just won't work, until the BIOS is updated. And if you try to update the BIOS with a first gen Athlon or low end CPU, there's a good chance it won't recognize the newer CPU, because the microcode changes required on many of the B350 and X370 boards drops support for the older low end models to make room in the BIOS ROM for the microcode needed for the newer CPUs, and it CAN'T if you have an older CPU installed that meets that criteria while trying to flash it. On those type systems you probably, so far, from what I've seen, NEED to have a board with the BIOS Flashback feature, and that board doesn't have that.

So, it's a roll of the dice IMO. It could work, but I've seen three cases so far where it wouldn't, but those all had Athlons, not Ryzen 3, 5 or 7's installed. If you have a 3, 5 or 7 currently, then a normal flash to a version that gives support will probably work fine.

Jason_b

Commendable
Jul 8, 2017
It just won't work, until the BIOS is updated. And if you try to update the BIOS with a first gen Athlon or low end CPU, there's a good chance it won't recognize the newer CPU, because the microcode changes required on many of the B350 and X370 boards drops support for the older low end models to make room in the BIOS ROM for the microcode needed for the newer CPUs, and it CAN'T if you have an older CPU installed that meets that criteria while trying to flash it. On those type systems you probably, so far, from what I've seen, NEED to have a board with the BIOS Flashback feature, and that board doesn't have that.

So, it's a roll of the dice IMO. It could work, but I've seen three cases so far where it wouldn't, but those all had Athlons, not Ryzen 3, 5 or 7's installed. If you have a 3, 5 or 7 currently, then a normal flash to a version that gives support will probably work fine.
Would it also cause my gpu fans to spin at Max and cause it not to respond

It might.

I don't think any of us REALLY know exactly what all the effects are this could cause, because we've never really seen a microcode release that forced the hardware to revert to PCI 2.0 standards when running 3.0 hardware. There could be a number of symptoms resulting from that, but given that the graphics card operates over the PCI bus, yes, it could very well be an issue.

You might want to drop to the second newest BIOS version but it MIGHT not change the issue, since microcode changes are sometimes not reversible when flashing an OLDER version of the firmware. In some cases it requires that a newer version be installed in order to undo erroneous code.

I would also definitely, first, try doing a CLEAN install of your graphics drivers.

Jason_b

Commendable
Jul 8, 2017
UPDATE: I took a old gtx 960 graphics card and replaced my 2060, it didn't make a lot of noise when I booted the PC up but I didn't get a signal from the pc.

Well, I'm not sure what if anything that tells us. Maybe that the old card is bad, or that it is in fact something related to the PCI circuit and Microcode.

Did you already flash the latest BIOS version? Do you already have the Zen2 CPU and are trying to get it to work or are you using an older CPU and updated the BIOS and started having problems even before installing the newer CPU? If so, what CPU do you actually have installed?

This is kind of going all over the place, and I'm not exactly sure now what specifically we are trying to determine.

Jason_b

Commendable
Jul 8, 2017
Well, I'm not sure what if anything that tells us. Maybe that the old card is bad, or that it is in fact something related to the PCI circuit and Microcode.

Did you already flash the latest BIOS version? Do you already have the Zen2 CPU and are trying to get it to work or are you using an older CPU and updated the BIOS and started having problems even before installing the newer CPU? If so, what CPU do you actually have installed?

This is kind of going all over the place, and I'm not exactly sure now what specifically we are trying to determine.
Ok to get everything straight, I didn't have problems with my old cpu (ryzen 5 1400). When I put the new CPU in the gpu started to spin at Max speed. I can't really use my old cpu until tomorrow because I don't have any thermal paste. I posted the update to show that it isn't my 2060 that's the problem. I just want to know if the Mobo not being up to date is the cause of everything. Sorry if it's confusing I don't have a lot of money so parts are hard to buy and I want things to work properly without replacing too many things.

Ok, so if you have NOT done the updates yet, then yes, that is likely 100% of your problem. You have to do the updates or nothing is going to work right with a Zen2 CPU installed. Things will start up and run, but they won't "work". So, no display, full speed fans (safety protocol for thermal protection), no POST, etc.

Reactions: rigg42
Solution

TRENDING THREADS