Question CPU/Motherboard question on integrated graphics as a backup.

tiggers97

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2013
So my current setup (ASRock Z87 Extreme 6, i5-4670k) has served me very well. But while trying to upgrade video cards recently, I found I had an issue with my PCIe slots. All three slots were having a hard time recognizing discrete graphic cards, even in BIOS. Probably the mother board, although a small chance it is the CPU. And without working PCIe slots, backup cards are useless.

Anyways, the integrated GPU onboard the CPU saved me, and enabled me to troubleshoot and browse the web when the PCIe slots don't work (it's stable now, as long as I don't reboot the computer).

I can get an Intel CPU for a good enough price that AMD doesn't interest me. But currently it is only the KF series of i7 and i9. Either the 9700, 9700k, 9900 or 9900k fits my needs fine. But I am kinda gun-shy now about not having an integrated GPU on backup from the KF series. Unknown when the non-F series get back in stock.

So my question is: is it pretty rare for PCIe slots to go out? Am I suffering PCIe PTSD, and I shouldn't worry about it?

So my current setup (ASRock Z87 Extreme 6, i5-4670k) has served me very well. But while trying to upgrade video cards recently, I found I had an issue with my PCIe slots. All three slots were having a hard time recognizing discrete graphic cards, even in BIOS. Probably the mother board, although a small chance it is the CPU. And without working PCIe slots, backup cards are useless.

Anyways, the integrated GPU onboard the CPU saved me, and enabled me to troubleshoot and browse the web when the PCIe slots don't work (it's stable now, as long as I don't reboot the computer).

I can get an Intel CPU for a good enough price that AMD doesn't interest me. But currently it is only the KF series of i7 and i9. Either the 9700, 9700k, 9900 or 9900k fits my needs fine. But I am kinda gun-shy now about not having an integrated GPU on backup from the KF series. Unknown when the non-F series get back in stock.

So my question is: is it pretty rare for PCIe slots to go out? Am I suffering PCIe PTSD, and I shouldn't worry about it?
I'd say it's pretty rare, most of time thy get damaged by bad card insertion.

TRENDING THREADS