Question CPU, Motherboard & Ram

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Hi,

Thinking upgrading to this combo and just wanted to check if I am good to go. Planning on this...

Intel Core i5 13500
MSI PRO Z790-P WIFI
Kingston FURY Beast RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 5600MHz DDR5 - KF556C36BBEAK2-32

All that comes in around £655 (UK) which I think is a decent price. I am a light gamer playing mostly Football Manger, Cities Skylines and Planet Coaster. I quite enjoy Call of Duty/GTA as well.

Would be interested to know your thoughts on this combo. I did consider going for a z690 but didn't think it was enough of a saving. Plus I prefer trying to get the latest gen things I can. I am planning on keeping my PSU,GPU and SSD's for now.

I did have a couple of questions...
1) Does this motherboard support 13th Gen out of the box? Would it need a bios update or perhaps I should just go straight to updating the bios before installing the cpu etc anyway.

2) Could someone confirm the ram I have selected would be ok. I checked the QVL list and its on that list but I don't understand the other columns.
View: https://imgur.com/dpbul0t

My current set up is ....
AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte B450 AORUS M
Corsair 16GB (2x 8GB) 3200Mhz DDR4 Vengeance

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 Super

WD Black SN850 2TB

1TB 860 evo SSD

650W Seasonic FOCUS Plus Gold

Thank you

Reactions: Why_Me

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
Interesting...That Ryzen 7600 performs very well in that video. Maybe I should take a look at that.
Reuse your memory would save a bunch.
No need for a Z790 board with that processor.
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-13500 2.5 GHz 14-Core Processor (£240.99 @ Technextday)
Motherboard: MSI PRO B760M-A WIFI DDR4 Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard (£169.99 @ CCL Computers)
Total: £410.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-02-13 22:47 GMT+0000

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Thanks everyone. I did consider just a CPU upgrade but I am going to keep my old parts to build my son's first PC. This has been usful and i think i will look at those Ryzen cpu's abit more before deciding. Thanks.

Reactions: Why_Me
I think it's great that you're going to give this PC to your son. I'm certain that he'll love it. ;)

As for your proposed bit of kit, I wouldn't recommend getting an Intel platform right now because the current socket is already in its final iteration. If you buy an Intel platform now, you will have to buy another motherboard when you upgrade from that. Thus, I would recommend that you go AM5. I believe that this will suit your purposes:

CPU: Ryzen 5 7600 - £229.98
Motherboard: ASRock B650M PG RIPTIDE - £166.31
RAM: ADATA XPG LANCER 32GB (2x16GB) DDR5-5200 CL38 - £115.42

TOTAL: £511.71

For what you do and the games that you play, the combination that I've presented to you will give you the exact same experience as the combination that you were considering for about £143 less.

Now, of course, the RAM you chose originally is a smidge faster but for your purposes it will have little to no impact on your experience from a performance standpoint.

The only noticeable difference would be the RGB lighting (which is lovely) and the extra twenty quid that you'd have to spend. Of course, if you choose this route, you'll already be spending £143 less than you originally were expecting to pay so perhaps a bit of splurging on RGB lighting wouldn't be out of order.

In the long-term, the AM5 platform will be upgradeable in the same manner as AM4 so your next upgrade will most likely not involve the purchase of a new motherboard. The AMD platforms allow you to extend the life of the kit that you've already spent money on, an advantage that shouldn't be underestimated. Cheers! ;)

Last edited:

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
Thanks. He is 8 and Minecraft daft. He is desperate to play it on my pc but then I would never get on mine.:D

Sounds like a solid option . I was prepared to send around £650 GBP. Would upgrading your option with the Ryzen 7700 be worth it? Its about another £100 extra.

Also I think I know the answer but what about having PCIe-5.0 x 16. I would have to spend about the same as the Intel build to get a board with that on the Ryzen option. I know I probably wouldn't benefit now but perhaps in a couple years time or when i next upgrade my GPU.

Thanks again.

Reactions: Avro Arrow
Thanks. He is 8 and Minecraft daft. He is desperate to play it on my pc but then I would never get on mine.:D

Sounds like a solid option . I was prepared to send around £650 GBP. Would upgrading your option with the Ryzen 7700 be worth it? Its about another £100 extra.

Also I think I know the answer but what about having PCIe-5.0 x 16. I would have to spend about the same as the Intel build to get a board with that on the Ryzen option. I know I probably wouldn't benefit now but perhaps in a couple years time or when i next upgrade my GPU.

Thanks again.

They still havent utilized PCIe 4.0 x16 bandwidth for gpus. When the x570 boards came out three years ago people scoffed at the need for PCIe 4.0 x16.

Last edited:
Reactions: Avro Arrow
Heh, I remember those days. For my my birthday in 1988, my dad bought me a bunch of PC parts to put together (286-16, Biostar Baby-AT mobo, 4MB of SIMM RAM, ATi EGA Wonder) and I was on it constantly to the point that my mom was getting annoyed that I was never doing anything else. The game for me at that time was Starflight and like your son, I was hopelessly daft for it and I lost entire weekends to that game. Then 4 years later, along came Wolfenstein 3D and...well, I'm sure you know the rest. :p
Well it certainly wouldn't hurt and if the extra quid is feasible for you, by all means, get it. The R7-7700 comes with a much nicer cooler than the 7600's Wraith Stealth. Its cooler is the Wraith Prism, the same cooler I use on my R7-5800X3D and it's just an RGB version of the original Wraith that was used on 125W CPUs like the Phenom II X4 940 and FX-8350 so you won't have to buy a cooler (which is always a fine thing). It looks amazing and the RGB lighting on it is programmable.
9p0lw26cq5f21.jpg

Honestly, I don't believe that it would make any difference. I don't even think that we've managed to saturate the PCI-Express v3.0 x16 slot yet. A PCI-Express v3.0 x16 slot has a maximum throughput speed of 32GB/s (16GB/s in each direction). Micron GDDR6X VRAM which is used on the RTX 4090 has a maximum data rate of 24Gb/s (which translates to 3GB/s). The data rate of a PCI-Express v3.0 x16 slot is therefore over 10x that of the RTX 4090's VRAM.

Remember, I'm only talking PCI-Express v3.0 here, what was used on all AM4 motherboards before the 500-series (A320, B350, X370, A420, B450, X470). and PCI-Express v4.0 is literally twice as fast as that. I think you'll be more than fine for at least another three video card generations with PCI-Express v4.0 because remember, it only came out on the previous generation of AMD motherboards which was only 3½ years ago. It's easily the shortest-lived PCI-Express version in history by a large margin and is therefore still 100% relevant today and will be for years to come.

As for data transfers and SSDs, PCI-Express v5.0 is so fast that you're guaranteed to encounter another bottleneck in the system that would prevent you from actually achieving the speeds that it promises. There's also the fact that for system operation, I still use the SATA-III M.2 drive that I originally bought with my ASRock X370 Killer SLI and Ryzen 7 1700 CPU back in 2017 because while sure, NVMe is faster, is it really worth buying new and more expensive hardware if the original drive is already so fast that you're going from a load time of five seconds to only two seconds? Not to me it isn't! I might buy the newer standard as a replacement for a component that has failed but I'm not going to waste money on something new when what I have already works perfectly well.
Thanks again.
I'm only too glad to help you do for your son what my dad did for me. He's going to be one of the happiest kids in the UK on the day you pass your PC to him, I guarantee it! ;)

They still havent utilized PCIe 4.0 x16 bandwidth for gpus. When the x570 boards came out three years ago people scoffed at the need for PCIe 4.0 x16.
Agreed. I'm not even sure if we've managed to saturate PCI-Express 3.0 x16 yet because it's maximum data rate is more than 10x that of GDDR6X. If the VRAM is fast enough then there's no way that the slot won't be at 10x the throughput. :LOL:(y)

yanna1

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2016
I do like the look of that rgb cooler :D

I think I like the idea of pushing to get the better CPU ( 7700 ) and not worrying about PCIe 5.0. I always try to get the most up to date tech I can afford at the time of upgrading but appreciate now I would be better putting it to the CPU. This has been very helpful.

I do have one more question. Are the b650m boards ready to use with the Ryzen 7700 or do they need a bios update? in particular the "MSI PRO B650M-A WIFI AMD Socket AM5 Motherboard " This is the first time I am building from scratch and want to be prepared. I usually buy the CPU, motherboard and ram pre assembled.

Thanks