CPU MOTHERBOARD RUNNING HOT FX 8350 MSI 970 Gaming

Nov 14, 2018
Hello there so i just bought an AMD FX 8350 + motherboard msi 970 gaming and installed it and i'm running 20-30ish idle temps, reaches 40-50ish when on youtube and stuff, but then when i'm playing games like Rust, League of Legens, Dauntless the cpu runs at a constant 78-80 degrees and that makes me worried. And i think it throttles back then because when running 35 degrees it says thermal margin 35 degrees and that's 70 so it should be the cause of some of my lag too and the temps i state is in CELCIUS

When my friend had this mobo+cpu it reached around 55-60ish max temps when playing rust/other demanding games and even lower on LoL and such games.

Specs of my pc:
CPU: Amd fx 8350
GPU: Nvidi geforce gtx 670
Motherboard: MSI 970 Gaming
RAM: 16gb 4x4 corsair vengeance 1600mhz
PSU:Corsair GS600
1 big fan pulling in air in front of case 1 small at the back pulling out and 2 small ones at the top back pulling out
And when gaming the motherboard reaches 60-70 degree temps using SPECCY to see the motherboard temp and i've tried many programs Core temp,speccy,cpu-z for example to check the cpu temp and they all show the same.

inzane4all

Upstanding
Jun 20, 2018
The 8350FX runs hot. It also depends what cooler you have with it. Are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket one? if you are using an aftermarket one, make sure it has at least 4 heatpipes. How about voltages to the CPU? Do you have it set to auto? Try setting it to manual. LLC settings? Digi/Power Control Settings? Don't set them too high, as it will generate more heat. Also, OC FSB will raise the temps as well.

I ran into heating issues when I upgraded my CPU from a 4350 FX to the 8350. At the time I was using a third party air cooler, but it wasn't good enough to cool the CPU down on stock settings. I even changed the thermal paste, and was still getting high temp readings.

I had to switch to a liquid cooler to solve my issue, but I also did it so that I was able to OC the CPU, and I was still reaching 65 - 70 degrees celsius when gaming (4.5 - 4.6 max OC). I was using an ASUS 970 Aura Board at the time.

Also, faster RAM speeds will generate more heat. When I would OC my RAM from 1600Mhz to 1866 or higher, I would see the CPU temp climb more (faster speeds need more voltage for RAM).

Finally, CPU Lottery. if you are as unlucky as I was, you just got a bad chip that requires more voltages to run. Hope this helps...

Nov 14, 2018
idk how to change/check any of those settings mind telling me more? mine is at stock settings i suppose since i haven't changed anythoing except disabling turbo core with amd overdrive and yes stock cooler EDIT: Looking at a few youtube videos and some guy (jayztwocents) said he had an hyper x evo 212 or whatever they are called and it looks exactly like mine so that might be what cooler i have

also how good the vrm on the mb are to supply voltage to your cpu. if you can return the amd cpu for an intel that uses ddr3 ram. the intel cpu will be a better gaming chip and it run cooler. if you can return the ram too then look at the newer ryzen cpu and a micro atx mb. for gaming your cpu is to old for the newer games.

Nov 14, 2018
It's weird, the vrm or whatever it's called maybe power phases or something like that theres 2 rows of them on the mobo and the one closest to cpu gets HOT AF so tried putting an old cpu fan doing 3000rpm towards it + new paste on the cpu and now it takes about 2,5 minutes until it reaches 78 degrees and starts throttling while playing BF4 and if i'm ingame and look towars something that is on fire and smoking alot so i lag because gpu is at 99% then the cpu goes down a few degrees until i look away PLEASE HELP!!!

David093

Honorable
Dec 17, 2013
Did you clean the thermal paste and put new one in there (in case of used system)? IS everything well installed and adjusted?
Maybe try lowering the voltage (stock 8350 should use less than 1.35V).

Nov 14, 2018
The "base" of my cooler gets real hot even when the cpu is only at 50ish degrees that it idles at now after i tried underclocking it to 3.7ghz to hope for better cooling but still gets 78-79 degrees under load and throttles but the copper pipes and aluminum fins of the cooler don't get especially hot maybe 20 degrees while the base of the cooler that touches the cpu is just as hot as the cpu