[SOLVED] CPU/Motherboard troubleshoot

Apr 23, 2020
So I dunno if this is where to post but I have an issue I need insight on.

I have a new build, Ryzen 5 1600 AF w/stock cooler, b450 tomahawk (not max), 2x8 Gskill Ripjaws 3200 RAM, M.2 Crucial SSD for storage, 500w EVGA PSU, 1660ti GPU, no additional HDDs or storage or anything. All built in NZXT H500 case. This is my first build and I just put it together a few days ago. But not without some headache.

So a little backstory. When I first got everything put together and went for the moment of truth. It booted, but the LEDs on the motherboard were stuck on CPU, which according to this MOBO, means CPU fail basically. The PC stayed ON, and fans and lights would stay on, but no post. I tried a few things, and was leaning toward BIOS update (which it technically shouldn't have needed), but for some reason I worried that I messed up somehow when seating the CPU or the cooler. So basically, I removed the cooler and the CPU to see if I bent a pin or something dumb. Everything looked great, so I resigned to put it all back together and give it a try.

Got a post.

Went through checking the BIOS, installing Windows, getting everything up to date, installing drivers for GPU etc. PC worked great.

Then I decided to do some data transfer. We had an old HDD ( came out of an old desktop from like YEARS ago in 2008 ), a 320gb HDD, Hitachi brand I think? Anyway I wanted to see if our old family pictures and what not would transfer from the drive. With my PC off, I plugged in the sata data and power cables, booted up the PC... except it didn't boot. The lights and fans came on, got about halfway through the boot cycle, then turned off. I tried to boot it again, it did the same thing. Not wanting to risk anything, I unplugged the HDD and cables, tried to boot with just the original drive (the only one, the M.2) but got NO POWER. None. No lights, no fans, no attempt to boot.

So for the past two days, I checked everything. Reseated ram, checked all cables, bread boxed the Mobo with only CPU and Mobo power. Checked front panel connectors that go to power buttons, reset CMOS... every troubleshooting tip I could find, I tried. What I had assumed was the old HDD had a fault or something and shorted my board. The PSU worked (tested it). I was all out of ideas. IT guy at work said he thought it sounded like a bad Mobo. So after trying to short the power button I had one more idea. The only part of the board I could not see (to inspect for damage) was around the socket. So once again I removed the cooler and the CPU, inspected everything, shrugged when everything looked good. Reinstalled, and just for giggles tried the power button.

And the damn thing booted. So with all the stuff I tried, I basically figured that everything worked except what I thought could only be CPU or Motherboard. But I'm typing this now on said PC and it's been running for hours. Temps and everything look good, no red flags anywhere that I can see. IT guy at work still suggests that there may be a bad solder on the board near the socket or something. I do have a new Mobo on the way. (Go figure the thing booted after I got a replacement shipped.)

My question after all that, is does any of this make sense? Both times I got the thing to boot, it was because I reseated the CPU and cooler. I've read online about people reseating and getting NO boot, but what do these symptoms sound like? Is the board bad? The CPU socket? The CPU itself? The PSU, Ram, GPU, slots... everything else seems to be acting normally. Other than reseating, the old HDD is the only thing I added that gave it more fits. Could that have shorted the board or caused it to shut down? Just trying to see what I should do now. I have some files I'd like to move over via USB drive from our old laptop (not where the HDD came from), but now I'm gun shy. Should I just install the new Mobo when it gets here?

Any ideas would be welcome, as I'm kinda baffled by all this.