CPU mount for the fan?

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
EDIT: Heatsink. That was what i was thinking of.

Pardon my lack of knowledge as i cant remember the name of the cooler that goes onto the cpu. Anyways it seems my liquid cooler has finally died out (after 5 years im not surprised) so i need to replace it with the stock cooler that came with my cpu. However for some reason i can not find the mounting brackets that came with my motherboard. What kind of mount do i need for my motherboard in order to mount my cpu cooler onto it?

My motherboard is a M5A99X Evo R2.0 by asus.

And also will i be able to overclock much with the standard mount? I remember the ones form AMD being redicuously good for just stock.

Solution

Enjoy your system! I am happy that you changed the cooler and also you have solved a problem you weren't aware before (the system overheated). Keep checking the temperatures once in a while, to be sure all is OK.

Cristi72

Admirable
Hello,

You will need something like this:
http://www.evercool.com.tw/categories/global/accessory/peripherals/k8-fm1/k8_fm1.php

Go to the nearest PC shop and ask for the stock AMD retention system, or find online a broken AM3 motherboard (be sure you also get the backplate, not only the upper brackets).

The stock coolers are not made for overclocking; depending of the CPU and the cooler, you could get away with some 10% clock increase, but with much higher temperatures.

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Well not really looking to OC at this time, funny that you mention it i never even attempted to OC my CPU with this thing. hmm. any reccomended coolers for when i do OC? The cpu box claims i can get up to 5ghz on each core though i dont think ill go that high, maybe 4.5 at most.

Cristi72

Admirable

Actually you asked about the overclock in the first post, that's why I mentioned it. What CPU do you have? An FX-8350 could reach 5GHz with one of these:
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=68&lng=en (one of the best);
http://www.noctua.at/main.php?show=productview&products_id=64&lng=en (slimmer, lighter, still very good).

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013

Thank you so much for the quick response. I did get a new one today and well the one i got was similer to the second one you have linked, so i should be good. Im now running at idle 20c instead of 40c. So im glad i switched. The radiator in that thing was dusty as hell.

Milky Kou

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
Im crying alot in happiness right now. Its been a few hours since i changed my heatsink, and im just blown away. Its super quiet compared to the last one, its keeping my pc at 50c during heavy loads with 60% use, my room is not heating up at all, and its just performing better my pc. I think that cooler really was holding me back. Thank you all so much for the help and quick replys.

Cristi72

Admirable

Enjoy your system! I am happy that you changed the cooler and also you have solved a problem you weren't aware before (the system overheated). Keep checking the temperatures once in a while, to be sure all is OK.

Solution