CPU multiplier drops under load (LGA 1156 i7 issue)

immensedata

Prominent
Apr 22, 2017
Hello!

I have tried OC'ing my i7 860 with a Asrock H55M Pro board, but no matter which BCLK speed I give to it, it drops the multiplier to 9 under load. I've tried OC'ing manually and using EZ OC feature inside the BIOS. Temps don't seem to be a problem, as it doesn't even reach 50C when it drops the multiplier(at 3.8 Ghz OV). Also I have tried disabling all the power-saving features, and it didn't help.
I wonder what is the reason and I would be really thankful if somebody could tell me what's the problem and how to fix it.
Could it be that the MB can't handle the overclocked i7 or maybe the CPU's too used up and can't OC anymore?(I used this PC for 6 years at everything stock until now)

CPU: Intel Core i7 860
Motherboard: Asrock H55M Pro
RAM: 8 GB DDR3-1333 Kingmax RAM
HDD: Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 7200RPM HDD
GPU: Gigabyte Radeon RX 470 G1 GAMING (the only new part in this PC)

Solution
You're running into VRM throttling most likely, you don't have a high end motherboard capable of a heavy overclock, as the VRMs are uncooled and can't handle a very high power draw that a heavy overclock brings. You're going to have to dial the overclock down to 3.6GHz or lower, that's about the point where most Lynnfield chips can get on a lower voltage. Above 3.6GHz is when you usually have to really bump up the voltage increasing power consumption and heat dramatically.
You're running into VRM throttling most likely, you don't have a high end motherboard capable of a heavy overclock, as the VRMs are uncooled and can't handle a very high power draw that a heavy overclock brings. You're going to have to dial the overclock down to 3.6GHz or lower, that's about the point where most Lynnfield chips can get on a lower voltage. Above 3.6GHz is when you usually have to really bump up the voltage increasing power consumption and heat dramatically.

Solution